Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Nobody, kid or otherwise has any business shooting game unless they can do it safely without hands-on help , and then comprehend the gravity of the situation once life has been taken. It's not a video game.

It's all a judgment call on the part of the person mentoring the new hunter as to when the beginner is really ready. Like has already been said here.........I've seen kids under 10 who I felt were mature enough to take on the task and I've seen adults who never will be.
In that respect our sport is completely unique. Personal character means everything.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Spike

I took my boys hunting with me at ages 5 & 6.I taught them how to shoot bb guns & 22's when they were 5.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Taking a kid deer hunting is far better IMO than letting them have an Iphone...
Amen brother, lol.

A lot of kids these days are nothing but texting/surfing machines now... blank stares and crap social skills in person. But they can send their friends 1000's of texts a month.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Amen brother, lol.

A lot of kids these days are nothing but texting/surfing machines now... blank stares and crap social skills in person. But they can send their friends 1000's of texts a month.
my wife had to disable the text messages on her daughters phone cuz she ran up a ridiculous bill...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
my wife had to disable the text messages on her daughters phone cuz she ran up a ridiculous bill...
Was this you? Lol!

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12097656
Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

there are many variables at which age a child should hunt and 5 & 6 year olds seem pretty young to me personally. a child should have not only the physical ability but also the mental capacity to comprehend what hunting is all about. Even with the mentor program offered in some states, most of the youngsters should be learning sportsman skills first and be trained to handle a firearm at a later age. In my opinion a youngster should be at least ten years old to hunt with a firearm. I know that I was 14 before my parents gave me my first deer rifle. Only time will tell how well the mentor program works.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
wow...that is ridiculous!
If the stuff didn't cost money I prob would have smashed it with a hammer...
she should do community service for that much!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM
fzo
Fork Horn

no it is not right in my opinion but it depends on the age
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rritchey sr.
there are many variables at which age a child should hunt and 5 & 6 year olds seem pretty young to me personally.

Kindergardeners and first graders, what parent in their right mind would want their kids killing animals at that age? They won't have a clue why they are killing except that its neat. The proud parents wouldn't let them any where near a knife to field dress it. It does more for the parents ego and bragging rights then it does for the kindergardener. Let little kids be little kids and let the ethical hunting and responsible gun handling to the 12 year olds.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
Kindergardeners and first graders, what parent in their right mind would want their kids killing animals at that age? They won't have a clue why they are killing except that its neat. The proud parents wouldn't let them any where near a knife to field dress it. It does more for the parents ego and bragging rights then it does for the kindergardener. Let little kids be little kids and let the ethical hunting and responsible gun handling to the 12 year olds.
I've met 12 year olds that I wouldn't trust with a sharpened stick.

It really comes down to the parent's decision and what is legal in your state. Some 6 year olds have better hunting ethics than grown adults, so I still believe it depends completely upon the individual circumstances.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.