HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
sachiko
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by nodog
My kids could do many things when they were little, but we aren't talking about that, were talking about killing. I doubt your wee ones understood that.

Guy has a point, killing something shouldn't be easy and without anymore effort than point and shoot and sachiko I'll bet you are very much involved in other ways like taking the harvested game and feeding it to your family, not just some happy meal experience where the kid thinks food comes in a happy bag. The OP was very much for educating kids to hunt, but earning the right to kill first. I agree.
We don't just take the girls hunting. We spend many, many more hours in the woods just scouting and learning about plants, trees, other animals. Often times we will end up crawling through the brush, the girls crawling along behind mama and daddy sneaking up on something. Beginning of last summer, we were able to get about six feet from a fawn hidden iin the brush. We then carefully snuck away so as not to alarm the mother.

We don't hunt from a stand. So it's all a matter of learning about the habits and movements of the animals. Although she's too young to actually make a kill, I think Miriam might be just as good at finding a deer as some of the people on this forum.