Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When to put out mineral blocks >

When to put out mineral blocks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to put out mineral blocks

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When to put out mineral blocks

Hello, I was planning on putting two out this summer. one pretty soon and then another in july any thoughts? When do you normally put yours out?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Default RE: When to put out mineral blocks

The deer start hitting mine in mid April. They hit mine real hard in the spring and summer. Then about September when the fawns are bigger and the racks are slowing down they stop using it. In the six years hunting by my mineral site I have only seen one deer lick it during season, little button buck. Some areas talk like minerals and salt arelike candy for deer, but my area must have enough in the soil cause they don't hit it in the fall. I also never put out salt blocks. I put out a trace mineral block and then last year I started putting out a block for cows. Cant remember the name but it has more calcium and phosphorus and things that are in the deer mixes and they really liked that. But in the fall it all stops. Here is a pic of my mineral site. It may take a season for them to find it a use it hard. When they do it will give you alot of trail cam pics!!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seems like the deer hit the licks from about now till the middle of the summer for me. I've got one lick that is about the size of a big washtub that has been out for 10 or so years.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Put them out early to not only help with anter growth, but to also help the does out when they are feeding their fawns.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

i keep one out year round...pretty good stuff i tell you what
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been supplimenting in my area for about 5 years. I put one out in the spring every year. Even after the block is gone the deer still dig at the spot. I've got one spot where the hole is 3x3 ft. and is about 6-8 inches deep.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM

End of March 1st of april
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reccommended by John Weis is putting out mineral blocks inthe spring and early summer becuase that's when deer's body metabolisms actaully develop a strong craving for minerals, causing bucks and does to repeatedly visit licks every day and each time remain for somtimes extended periods.

Also reccommends one mineral block per 40 acres.Try and go for mineral blocks with highest amounts of sodium, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, and copper with lower amounts of vitamins A, D, and E, potassium, cobalt, selenium, and iodine. Good Luck.