Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Salt blocks and mineral blocks? >

Salt blocks and mineral blocks?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Salt blocks and mineral blocks?

Old 12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Salt blocks and mineral blocks?

I was thinking about getting some salt blocks and mineral blocks to set out by my stands, and was wondering when is the best time to do this, and if you have any other suggestions about this for me that would be great. I think I may be getting a game camera for Christmas and was thinking that it might be a good idea to have some kind of atractent out. Will the deer keep coming back after the blocks are gone?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Salt blocks and mineral blocks?

Dig hole, insert salt block, cover with water.

The deer will keep coming back for about a year tearing up the ground to get the salt.

Not sure about mineral blocks.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Better check your state laws.....It is illegal in Illinois.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, allready thought of that, they are both legal here in Mn.[8D]
Old 12-15-2003, 01:29 PM

Save your money. Generally, deer only seek and use salt and other minerals from late spring, through the summer, into early to mid fall.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 PM

i agree with you c903 to a certain extent. but it is nice to have one throughout the summer months.....right next to the cornfeeder. deer LOVE salt, that's why i always see them out on the roads after it snows or a good freezing rain rolls through...... i wouldn't be suprised if the deer chase down the old state trucks!!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mineral licks out for 3 years now and they definetly get used from late march through late august. Before that and after that they will get visited but not as often. Personally digging and spreading granular mineral (3' to 4') is the best (you can put a block there to if you want) Granular mineral they actually eat the ground, not lick. If you want them to consume the mineral for rack growth granular mineral is the way to go. Salt is a good attractant, but isn't going to help out in the rack department. When ever I starta new mineral lick I'll put some corn on it and mix it in every couple days for a couple weeks so they find it and get a taste of the mineral site.

Good Luck!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:52 PM

I know that is not legal in IL, but a man that I used to work with put a bag of sugar out on top of a hill twice a year. The deer tear this stuff up. I don't know if the deer would use it year round, but I don't see why not. It would appeal to the deer's sweet tooth. I have heard of using the kind of mollasses that you give to cattle. Put it in some old pantyhose and hang it from a branch, so it drips. If its legal, it would be worth a try.
Good luck.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:37 AM

i think they really hit it hard during spring, summer and into fall. i put a 50lb salt brick on an old stump measuring 3 ft wide ...within 4 months all that was left was a hole in the ground. them deer ate the whole thing trying to get the salt that i guess soaked into the wood from the rain. i couldn't believe it.