Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeding

Old 12-11-2002, 03:45 PM

Default feeding

This is my question i live in a state where it is legal to plant and put out feed corn for the deer. So our deer season is fastly coming to an end. I would like to know what i can do this winter to keep the deer near my stand for years to come first what should i plant and how much per acre. And what is something that i could due to keep the deer off it till it matures
Old 12-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: feeding

First off you will probably have to wait until spring to begin planting but now would be a good time to start getting everything ready to establish a food plot. Number 1 on the list would be to take a soil sample from the area to be planted to get the exact amount of fertilizer and lime you will need. Most types of clover and alfalfa need the correct ph levels to grow well. If the soil needs lime now is the best time to get started as it will take up to 6 month to correct a low ph condition. You can also begin clearing the area of brush and weeds and breaking the ground with a disc or tiller or if you're lucky enough a tractor. As far as what to plant, ask local farmers or talk to the local seed supply store to find out what will grow the best in your area. There are quite a few varieties of clovers and each one will do better under certain conditions. For me, Alfa-graze has worked well along with ladino and arrowleaf clover. Annual rye grass works well but will not tolerate the summer heat. Alot of it will be trial and error. Try planting different types of seed throughout the food plot. Keep track of where and what you planted to see what will work best in your area. I feel it's best to put out a little too much seed than not enough. For now, I would start feeding corn to help them through the winter (I feed corn year round). Don't give up because it may take a few years to get a food plot established. Once established, it only takes a little maintenance to keep it going.