Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeding

Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Feeding

Hi there here in ohio feeding corn is legal. I was wondering when should i start putting out corn if the season starts on October 1st.

P.S. Also any ideas on cheap foodplots.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feeding

Hi Coryt

I'm in Mi. & it's ok to put corn, apples, beets & carrots in this state as well but were limited to a 5 gallon bucket & has to be spread out in a 5 ft area I think, I'm sure somebody on this site will correct me if I'm wrong.
Any way I would start putting the bait down about a week before I hunt & then bring a little more in as needed to keep the deer coming.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:43 PM

It depends on where your at in Ohio. If you live way in the south you can start shortly before the season, not much food down there so they will find it fast and use it. But up here in NW Ohio with all the farms its already a full service buffet for them so you have to start real early and get them used to it, They will not hit it hard until after gun season when the crops are down and the ground is froze or snow covered. My food plot did not get used really good until the next year and thats hit and miss until late season.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Hi Coryt

I'm in Mi. & it's ok to put corn, apples, beets & carrots in this state as well but were limited to a 5 gallon bucket & has to be spread out in a 5 ft area I think, I'm sure somebody on this site will correct me if I'm wrong.
Any way I would start putting the bait down about a week before I hunt & then bring a little more in as needed to keep the deer coming.
It is illegal to bait in certain parts if Michigan, so be careful and read the regs!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank's B H F

I forgot about that! your right in the N.E. part of the state where they had alot of case's of T. B. you can't use any type of bait.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

From the Michigan DNR web site:
[*]The volume of bait at any hunting site cannot exceed two gallons.
[*]The bait must be dispersed over a minimum of a 10-foot x 10-foot area.

Baiting may occur only from October 1 to January 1.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

There you see, I stand corrected I just knew somebody on this site would.