Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer antlers?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default Deer antlers?

I live in Northwest Montana and this morning as I coming out of my driveway I saw 5 whitetails walking towards me on the road. Seeing 5 deer is not uncommon, but two of the deer were Bucks! They still had both sides of their headgear!

I was always thought that bucks drop their antlers in Jan. or so. Any thoughts as to why these bucks still have their antlers?

Ed
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer antlers?

I think its a matter of health.. I would say age plays a role but ive seen spikes loose theirs before bigger deer and vice versa. Nutrition must play a role in it. Some lost theirs here in Va during Jan as well.. while some still have them attached right now. I do know all drop before the last week in march from what ive seen
Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Deer antlers?

It varies. Some started dropping here in December while there is one still packing hanging around my yard. Usually by thebegining of March the majority are off.