Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
head
4.65%
neck
5.81%
vitals
89.53%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Place your Shot

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Place your Shot

I don't see any reason to go for the head or neck on a doe. The reason you would go for the neck or head (other than to prove you can which I think is stupid) would to prevent the animal from running off. First of all, a doe is going to weigh much less than a mature buck, so if it does run off, it will be easier to drag out. Second, with a properly placed shot and the right bullet, chances are the doe will drop where you shoot it.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Like I stated earlier, I've only taken one head shot on a doe, and I did it to put her out of her misery. That being said. I hunt with a 30-30 using 170's or 180's (when I can find them) on the range I can put one shot through a stationary clay pigeon at 150 yds using the 170 gr ammo. I am very confortible with the gun and every deer I have shot has dropped where I shot it. After reading all these posts and thinking about my own abilities, I guess I really don't have a problem with people taking a head or neck shot. If someone is really that comfortable with their gun and confident in the shot/conditions, I don't seea problem with it. For me personally, I'll stick with heart/lung shots.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Vitals for sure
Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I hunt lower michigan, no centerfires, either shotgun or ML.
Paul
Paul, have you ever hunted the Sanctuary in West Central?

Nope, I have only hunted private land locally in the Adrian MI area. I hunt on weekends and after work. And I have to either hunt with someone, or have them quickly available if I kill something. I am pretty little and need help dragging them or loading them in a vehicle. Most of the deer I kill weigh more than I do. Heck I don't even own a truck. I own a 2 door Sebring coupe. It would have to be a pretty little deer to fit in my trunk (not sure I want one in there anyway).

Like I have said in other posts, hunting deer is sort of a logistics pain for me. I am thinking of shifting my efforts to turkey, bunnies and pheasant. Much easier to drag out of the woods for me so I could do it easier by myself.

Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I aim for the vituals. Just because i see ever deer as a trophy and like to take pictures. I don't want a deer with its head blow of, and plus my family like to see the deer butI know that the head and neck will put them down pretty easy.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:08 PM

i have shot deer in both neck, vitals, and head(accident). i voted neck since i have been taught to shoot at. some people may think it's "unethical" (which isyour opinion)to shoot a deer in the neck. but to me you drop em and you put meat in the freezer. that's all that matters to me and i don't feel sorry for it. that's just my .02 cents worth.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM

It depends on the deer. If its a trophy, without a doubt the vitals, although I have shot one in the neck before.For the most part if I make a neck shot its on a doe or spike.Those deer are somethin else though, sometimes no matter how great your vital shot is they can still run. But i find the tracking to be the fun part anyways.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Like I have said in other posts, hunting deer is sort of a logistics pain for me. I am thinking of shifting my efforts to turkey, bunnies and pheasant. Much easier to drag out of the woods for me so I could do it easier by myself.

Paul
Yep! I quit running Hog Dogs in 2000 after 45yrs due to my age and physical condition.I have shota number of deer since then, but I too am considering going for Quail, Dove,Turkey and Rabbits pretty soon.

I plan on shooting deer this season with Crossbow, but I also have to have someone with me. I'll have to see how it goes!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting Is Knowing Your Abilities

Ability =Lots of practice not just at the range on perfect benches/distances,
but in the woods with your stands or blinds. (they are not perfect benches)
The woods also have variables and obstacles: trees,bushes and limbs ect...
these are bullet deflectors. Deflected bullets are misses and/or wounded game.
When you become aware of all of these.......
Then we get to BUCK FEVER (also in the case of Does, DEER FEVER) this
causes problems with nerves,rapid heart rate,shaking,and some blindness to
range and obstacles such as trees and limbs which takes us back to bullet
deflectors.(missed and/or wounded game)
The next thing is knowing what type of bullets to use for the game you are
hunting. How much penatration, how much expansion, how much penatration
before expansion and how fast to expand.
(example .224 50 grain sx bullet with
muzzle vol.4000fps only penatrates1/2-3/4 inch explodes massive damage for next
3-4 inches with no exit on coyotes/deer)( .224 50 grain sp bullet with muzzle vol.4000fps
penatrates 1 inch with max. expansion in 3-4 inches exits with 1- 3 inch blowout)
(.284 139 grain sp bullet with muzzle vol.3000fps penatrates 3 - 4 inches before it starts
to expand max. expansion in 6 - 8 inches. 3/4 inch exit from12 inches of solid meat)

If you think about this a .284 139 grain sp bullet would travel 1/3 of the way through a
deer before it starts to expand (note: lung tissue is not solid meat either)

A better choice in bullets would be the .284 120 grain sp or hp for the faster expansion
it penatrates 1-2 inches, and starts to expand max. expansion in 3-5 inches 3/4-7/8 inch
dia. and pushes through about 12 inches of meat
(By the way reloads and hornady bullets) sp=spire pt. sx=super explosive hp=hollow pt.
BULLET CONSTRUCTION IS IMPORTANT TO CLEAN HUMANE KILLS ALSO!!!!!
When you take all these things in to consideration before you pull the trigger
then you should have the ABILITY AND CONFIDENCE to shoot any kill spot
on deer or any game.

MOST WEEKEND WARRIORS DON'T TAKE THESE THINGS INTO CONSIDERATION
THEY TAKE GUN OUT OF STORAGE A WEEK BEFORE SEASON, FIRE A FEW ROUNDS
JUST TO CHECK SCOPE. SCOPE OK, NOW OUT OF AMMO, RUN TO LOCAL
GAS STATION, HARDWARE STORE WAL-MART BUY THE CHEAPEST AMMO
THEY CAN FIND FOR THERE GUN AND JUST GO OUT BLASTING.
BLASTING = (MISSED,WOUNDED AND/OR LOST GAME)!!!!

Quick Reply: Place your Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.