Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
head
4.65%
neck
5.81%
vitals
89.53%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Place your Shot

Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Place your Shot

ORIGINAL: uncballers45

I personally think that the other two choices are unethical.
Unethical and just plain stupid.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM

Vitals for sure, no question.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

After church I try to aim for the foot,,....what the hell goes on???? kill and eat!!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 PM

i only read the first pasge of replies on this thread and havent read no more cause i didnt want to have a meltdown when i came to a post that said head/neck shots are great, the only way to do it is by vitals only, if you dont have any shot but that dont shoot.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about the "Texas Heart Shot"? Why wasn't that on the poll?

You know when a deer is walking straight away from you and the only shot you have is straightthrough the corn-hole all the way to the vitals.

I can't believe that shotdidn't make it as one of the choices.

Sarcasm intended.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

How about the "Texas Heart Shot"? Why wasn't that on the poll?

You know when a deer is walking straight away from you and the only shot you have is straightthrough the corn-hole all the way to the vitals.

I can't believe that shotdidn't make it as one of the choices.

Sarcasm intended.
I'm actually rather surprised that no one said that yet.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to lie, I have shot a LOT of does in the head on purpose. Sure some people think it is unethical, but if you can make the shot, with a solid rest, why not? During our extended doe season my buddies and I actually make a competition among ourselves while hunting together. Whoevers turn it is to shoot a doe, the other buddies call the shot. Wherever they say to put the bullet is where it goes. We are hunting out of elevated blinds with benchrest style rests. We don't shoot does that are running, they are in foodplots or CRP grass and totally unaware, and placing the bullet is as easy as shooting paper.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 AM

The whole point of shooting does is to get some meat for the table. I shot two does in the neck this year, and the other two in the vitals (farther shots). Of the two I shot in the neck, I lost no meat whatsoever. Of the two I shot in the vitals, I lost no meat on one but I took out the majority of both front shoulders in addition to both lungs on the other that I hit a mere 2" too far forward. Granted, I was over-gunned with my 7mm Rem Mag, but the same shot with a .243 would still have done a good amount of damage. Shooting them in the neck/head is the way to go.

In keeping with the topic, I have nothing against shooting any other animal in the neck or head for that matter. Quite often, a head/neck shot may be your only option when you're stalking elk in the timber. Learning to make such shots is simply a part of becoming a better hunter. And your ability to make such shots will at some time determine whether you have meat for the freezer or not.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM

For a good, clean, ethical shot, you have to shoot in the vitals
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

why would you shoot anywhere else?

Quick Reply: Place your Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.