Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting partners?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Default RE: hunting partners?

I deer hunt alone basically because I don't have any friends where I'm at now who hunt. Growing up, deer hunting season was always a great time to get to spend time with dad. I wish we could still go deer hunting together, but being 600+ miles away makes that difficult.

I wouldn't mind deer hunting with a buddy for many of the reasons listed here, but I would want to know the person and more importantly, know their hunting and gun handling practices first. I've gone pheasant hunting with guys who pay no attention to where their gun is pointed until they're ready to shoot and I spent the whole damn day ducking out of their gun's line of fire!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Spike

I can say that over the last 3-4 years I have not hunted without a camera man, so I don't ever hunt alone.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Generally speaking, I prefer to hunt with one or two people. I hunt my private ground alone though.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Wow!thanks guys for all of the input.I didnt realize that there were so many people who hunt alone,because i mostly see people together when hunting.I usally take my cell phone and leave it on silent and i take a 2 way radio and leave the other at the house.I wish my dad would hunt with me,but he has lost all intrest, but i do thank him for getting me involved when i was younger.He hates to see deer season come rolling around because i pester him everytime i see him to go hunting with me .Well maybe some day.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM

For me it depends what we are hunting. If its geese i want to hunt with a few buds, share the work diggin pits/settin up decoys etc. Grouse hunting also i like having a friend along. As for big game though i am pretty solo. I am pretty picky and do not hunt well with others. Tried it a few times and when i suggest soemthing people look at me like i take this way too seriously which i admit sometimes i do. I do elk hunt in a group sort of. We do help each other out hauling out game etc but really we are alone while we are hunting. I have a bit of a greedy/serious/cocky personality when it comes to hunting big game so i find its best i hunt alone.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

i started hunting with dad. then then for the last 4 seasons i been rifle hunting with my buddys doing drives or on stand alone...i like hunting with the group doing drives...but after this year i dont know..i had a beautiful nice buck running right at me. i was sittin on the path he was taking. we were hunting the flintlock season. my buddy is a atleast 75yds away from the deer..the deer is sitll 50yds infront of me running dead at me. my buddy decided to shoot anyways..said he knew he wouldnt hit it..needless to say the buck ran hard core away from me. i was pretty upset after that. even his uncle(kinda our drive leader..farms ALOT of land and gets us permission and everything) said he shouldnt have done that..no doubt i would killed that buck. no way to miss point blank

butttt hes my "best friend" and dont wanna ruin that...and his uncle is a hugeee help..getting me permission and ALWAYS got me on the biggest bucks and turkeys..hes one of them guys that says go climb the big oak tree in the evening..and your on game..hes good. spends alot of time farming and knows the animals and the land..so i dont wanna step on toes and loose friendships sayin im not hunting with them anymore...

i just hope i start killing my buck in bow seaso..with or without the uncles help..i hunt alot of other land..then i will show up at my leisure and drive for them guys in rifle season..then im not steppin on toes and burning bridges..i love them guys and were like family..but that incident made me pretty mad...im sure my buddy just got excited..and he said he seen my gun wasnt up yet..(i was caulking the hammer back and waiting till the buck got close..gun was ready to roll and on my shoulder just not UP yet..) i dont know...we will see....i enjoy hunting alone..but driving with the group is fun too..
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 PM

I hunt most of the time alone .
A few times a year I have a friend over to hunt on my lot.
When I go to Southern Tier I hunt with a couple buddies .
I kind of like it either way ,
Alone is peacful but its nice to have help if needed .[&:]