Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Partners....................... >

Hunting Partners.......................

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Partners.......................

Old 12-22-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Hunting Partners.......................

How many of you have a hunting buddy that really makes you mad sometimes? this guy i go with never showers before he does, ill get to his house early in the morning and he always reeks of beer and cigarettes, and when we get out in the woods, he always lights a cigarette... i dont want to be mean and tell him to get out, but i really dislike hunting with him. i normally dip in the woods, i know the deer can probably smell it, but not like smoke, and you can see smoke too.. any comments on your buddy?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Hunting Partners.......................

Wandrews6002,

Sounds like you need a new huntin' buddy. Either that or a good talk?

One Thanksgiving I invited my cousin's husband to hunt with our group. As we were walking through the woods toward our tree stands he lit up a cigarette. We've never hunted together since. I don't even know if he ever wonders why I haven't asked him since?? As for a dip in the woods? I know it's nice to enjoy a dip in the great outdoors, but the deer can smell you coming a mile away.

Then again, I've heard stories from back in the day when old timers had a beer in one hand, a shotgun in the other and a cigarette in mouth while shooting big deer? Like I said.....just stories!

The truth is, you can do whatever you want to do. Just be respectful of the guys you're with. If you're alone, then smoke till your hearts content. To each his own.........

Bn'R
Old 12-22-2003, 03:49 PM

I think its very possible to kill a deer when smokin or rubbin, BUT it will decrease your odds very much, i killed a deer one time settin around at lunch eatin chips and drinkin pop. Just stayin out in the woods is how you kill one, but if you take the right precautions it will better your odds.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:04 PM

When I am in the woods I like to have as many odds in my favor as possible. That means no smoking, drinking, or eating anything that the deer can smell. I am sure that people have killed deer doing all of these things but odds are definately decreased. Just my opinion.

upstateny
Old 12-22-2003, 09:32 PM

one guy come out with our party one year and his gun went off, he was back in the city so fast but could of been faster
Old 12-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Typical Buck

6002....... Sounds like you do need a new hunting buddy. But if that's not really an option, use him to your advantage. Put him up wind.....with a few good trails between you......and reap the benifits of the stinch. lol He'll probably get PO'ed that your killing more deer than he is and solve your problem himself.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:48 AM

well not having good hygiene is discusting all the way around. and i am 100% sure that a smoking decreases your chances of harvesting a trophy buck that's for sure. my father has smoked cigarettes in the woods well for.... forever. he always gets a buck but they are always young, maybe a year or two. he has never harvested a trophy buck. don't get me wrong, he has seen them.... but they smell him and high tail out of there before he can get a shot off. i think you should tell your buddy to walk about 200 yards down the road and head into the woods.... this way you can take advantage of his ignorance. that's what i do to my father and he doesn't see a deer all day and my wife and i see a ton of them. for instance this year my wife got her first deer ever which was a 6 point with an 18" spread. my dad was hunting on top of the hill, and we were down in the valley.... he didn't see a deer all season!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I get mad at my hunting partner once in a while but I try to get along. She is my wife. Best hunting partner I ever had. She is my fishing partner as well. 36 years so far.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wandrew,
Thanks for posting this topic. Really makes me appreciate my hunting partner of 25 years even more.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Wish I had a good hunting buddy Oh Well, One guy I hunt with a few times a year smokes like a chimney. I can trail his stops by the piles of butts he drops.
I don't know how much they, Butts, chase the deer but this guy always scores and is one of the few guys that I know that can sneek up on a buck. Does it every year. Go figure!!!

Quick Reply: Hunting Partners.......................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.