Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting partners .......

Old 02-27-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Hunting partners .......

Has something like this ever happen to you?

My best friend and fishing buddy decided we would try to call in a mountain lion if possible. I have never hunted with this guy even though we have been friends for more than ten years. He's always been a fishing guy.

Well we stalked to a good overlook and I wispered that he should hide here and I would sneek a 100ft farther up the canyon and try to call in a big cat. "Keep a sharp eye"

The ol hurt rabbit call has called in more than a few coyote so why not a cat. 15 min. later I smelled smoke.....huh? Peeking around the juniper tree I was using for cover I see an amazing sight. My buddy was sitting on the edge of the canyon looking like a roadside billboard, with a cup of coffee in one hand and a cigarete in the other. His rifle proped up against a tree 20 ft away.

I couldn't help but laugh my a$$ off. Walking up to Richard I said " you're not taking this very serious are you?" He just said " Why. What do ya mean?".

He will always be my fishing buddy..........but that's about it.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting partners .......

I think you should keep him as a fishing buddy and forget about this guy ever getting serious about hunting.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:14 AM

this happens to me once and a while. some of my buddies that hunt a little bit want to tag along with me on occasion. This one time i took my highschool friend out. We get all set up in a ground blind or behind some fallen cover, and he starts tellin me stories. He was polite enough to whisper but for the love of god man if u wanted to tell me stories we could have left the rifle at home, got a case of beer and sat in the blind all afternoon socializing. I have difficulty hunting with other people because I take it real serious and i get bitchy when somebody does something that might affect my hunt. I guess i am kind of cocky but i believe if I want something done right I have to do it myself. My beliefs would maybe change if i hunted with a person who took things as serious as i do but i have yet to discover a friend with this attribute......
Old 02-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some things (people) are better left alone. I'd hate to be the one taking that guy brown bear hunting.

I've hunted with some people before that invited me and after a day wiht them I would have rather stayed at home.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife is my hunting partner. She loves to camp and hunt and fish. I have few other hunting buddies left. Most of the guys I used to hunt with were older than me and most have given up hunting. I will do my best to hunt until I drop. There are a few left that still get out now and then. They all still gather at the hunting camp on the first night or two of season. What they lack in hunting energy they more than make up for with Bull #*^#. Man some of those old hunterss lie.. Or I should say the remember things a little bit different than others do.Funny how those old dead bucks keep growing more rack and more points.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted with a lot of different people over the years and more recently several from this board. While i have crossed paths with some real a$$holes most have been a pleasure to hunt with.
I'd try to explain to the guy and at least give him one more chance.
If it don't work, stick to fishin with him. I don't think I would count him out yet. Remember the balls in your court. You have the oppertunity to turn him into a hunter. I'm sure you'll do the best you can.

PS james, I like your comments bout the Ol Timers LMAO
Old 02-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

James B,

I know you're not knocking your older hunting buddies that don't hunt as much, but let me shed some light on what you can expect.

I too have lost a lot of older friends to health problems, loss of interest, and death. There's not a day goes by that I don't miss them all, particularly when at our hunting camp which runs from Sept thru Jan and again in Turkey season and our fishing trips. I miss going to their camps and listening to the stories. I miss taking my dad and his buddy to the woods and setting up their camp for them , I miss the one that always drank to much at camp and didn't hunt, but was a great cook and did all of it. I miss the loud mouth, the griper, the bragger, the one that wouldn't wash the first dish at camp, the one that never cut a stick of firewood, the one that never brought groceries and bumbed off the rest, the one that borrowed a gun.

Right now I could choke my brother, he'll buy food and bring it to our weekly hunting club supper, which we all take turns cooking, but he would starve to death before cooking a meal. To make matters worse, he's one of the best cooks' I know. I miss my ole buddy that actually drank hisself to death grieving. He didn't know a thing about hunting when it came to actually doing it, but he could talk a good game. Loved to take him with me because he was in some ways like a kid.

I'm here to tell you, you've got more buddies with you than you'll ever know, until they're gone. I'm not knocking you, but Lord knows I wish I could have them back to argue with and laugh at. One day it'll hit home!

dog1
Old 02-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

RKBO
Whether he is your fishing buddy or not do him a favor "tell him to stop smoking"!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you RKBO. I have a buddy I hunt with a little and he's as dedicated a hunter as I am. Trouble is he has a flem problem. He's had a few surgeries but no fix yet. Problem is we get out in the woods and he has a coughing fit. Usually lasts 5 minutes and by that time the entire world knows we are there. I don't hunt with him any more because of that (plus he's kind of an a$$hole too).
Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Believe it or not I took a guy archery hunting for elk and yes he was a smoker. He'd sit down and smoke a cigarette while we were out in the field. And surprisingly enough we got on a bull and got within 9yds of the bull. Not only did this guy need a patch for the hunt he needed glasses too. I'm not a anti-smoker but in the field hunting its not very helpful.