Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Funnels

Old 12-05-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Funnels

I have some books and they talk about funnels and that they attract deer, but i don't know what they are. So would someone please explain what funnels are and where they can be located. Thanks
Old 12-05-2002, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Funnels

A funnel is an area that deer are inclined (or forced) to move through because of the type of terrain. A funnel is generally small in width, but could be very long. For example, a brushy woodline connecting a bedding area and a feeding area could be a funnel. Where I hunt, the funnels are finger ridges running from pine thickets (bedding area) to a primary hardwood ridge (feeding area). Maybe someone with more knowledge can help me out here.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:37 PM

Just to expand a little bit on what kgkoon said. Funnels are just what they imply. For example where I hunt there is a fairly deep drainage ditch that runs from a hill top all the way to the bottom to a pond the ditch runns about 200 yds. Since the deer moving through that area aren't inclined to move right across the drainage ditch they move up to the top of the hill where the ditch begins and the terrain is better for passing. I set my stand up at the top of the hill and on heavily used trails and I see lots of deer. Believe me hunting funnels is probably the single best thing you can do to increase your chances of seeing deer. Alot of people really can't even identify funnels and it is such a simple concept. I only really became aware of hunting funnels a few years ago. And it really does work. I think there was an article in one of the whitetail magazines recently describing a set up similar to mine. I was thinking to myself those guys must of gone and scouted my spot out. Anyway another example of a funnel and one my buddy uses is a fence that runs a few hundred yards but between two of the post the top wire has been cut. The deer funnel to it and pass the obstacle there because it is easier for them. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another example of a funnel is a narrow stretch of woods connecting two larger areas of woods. Deer will usually go from one woody area to the other by going through the small section of woods instead of going through fields to get to the other large wooded area.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-06-2002, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]