Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

FOUND MY MUZZLELOADER BUCK

Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOUND MY MUZZLELOADER BUCK

ORIGINAL: cttgarcia03

I would definitely agree with you. Somepeople on here don't see it that way. Or should I say one guy on here doesn't. My taxidermist already said he has a cape for me if I wish to use it.

ummm, 2 people would be closer,

Maybe a new rule for your camp could be; The only shooting done on the last day past noon is with a camera. Thereby preventing or at least reducing the odds of finding scraps for the wall.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think its neat that you found him but I wouldn't count him as a "kill". I'd have trouble looking at those antlers on a mounteveryday knowing the circumstances of his demise.

I've lost deer before, and found them muchlater (a 7 point in 1992, and a Doe a couple years ago) so its not like I have some "better-than-thou" attitude. I'm just saying - its tough to call it a kill, and probably you should call what it is -a found deer.

FH
Old 02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats great man. I still haven't found the doe I shot opening day of bow season. But it happens to the best of us.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

dischuett,

You can get a cape for free from a road kill. In Md you have to take whole deer and get a possession tag from a law enforcement officer but it's reallyno big deal. I'm sure the laws regarding road kills vary from state to state so be sure to check your local regs before you drag one home. Nice buck. Good luck w your future mount.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

i save all my capes that i do not want to mount.i give them to my taxidermist,its a great way to get save money on your own mounts. i make all the wooden bases for my taxidermist to mount small game on for his customers,so between giving him spare capes and making bases ,i get all my work done cheap,dirt cheap. he's mounting heads for me soon for free........if you are regular customer of his most times he will just give you a cape .
Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

dischuett,

You can get a cape for free from a road kill. In Md you have to take whole deer and get a possession tag from a law enforcement officer but it's reallyno big deal. I'm sure the laws regarding road kills vary from state to state so be sure to check your local regs before you drag one home. Nice buck. Good luck w your future mount.

Great idea! I never would have thought of that. When the time comes, I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!!!