Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Muzzleloader Buck!  NY DMU 3C >

First Muzzleloader Buck! NY DMU 3C

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Muzzleloader Buck! NY DMU 3C

Old 12-17-2006, 07:36 PM

Default First Muzzleloader Buck! NY DMU 3C

Just bought the Omega in November. Been shooting the standard 2 777Pellet load under a 250gr Shockwave with exellent results. My first day out was Wednesday 12/13/06 in thepouring rain. I managed to put the sneak on 3 bedded does and put the largest of the group down with a nice 40yd broadside shot. The Shockwave passed through and she piled up after a short 25yd dash.I was very pleased as this wasmy first BP deer.

The very next daythe weather was beautiful although a bit warm. I hunted hard and saw nothing until 12:45pm. I had been sitting for about an hour when all of a sudden a deer appears out of nowhere. I had another antlerless tag and decided if I saw another mature doe I would take her. The deer turned out to be a spike which is not legal in my DMU, but I wouldn't shoot one anyway. I watched him stretch as he just rose from his noon napwhen I caught a glimpse of another deer still bedded behind him just 80yds from where I sat. I couldn't identify deer number 2 until it decided to stand up, and then......It was on!It got nerve racking for about 3 or 4 minutes because I could not get a clear shot and the buck was right on the edge of a real dense thicket. If he decided to just stroll I'd be out of luck. Anyway I decided not to try the neck shot that I was presented as he stood behind the spike, and my patience finally paid off. The buck stood still as the spike move a couple of steps just browsing and then I had a clear broadside 80yd shot. I steadied the Omega on my knee and squeezed off what would be a perfect shot. Both deer ran off as if they were untouched and I could barely see them as I peered through the smoke. Well I figured there would be no second chances so I took my time reloading and started to second guess myself in spite of what felt like an exellent shot. I made my way towhere the deer stood and found little evidence of a hit but continued in thedirection I thought the buck ran. I walked about 20 yds beyond and could see him piled up about another 60yds from where I stood. He ran about 70 or 80yds after the shot. The post mortem revealed a complete pass through of the 250gr Shockwave and massive trauma to the top of the heart....it was literally blown to shreds. Anyway,I was thrilled. The buck is a perfect 8pt with 10.5" G2's. A very good buck for this DMU.

My first two days ever in the field with a muzzleloader could not have been better, and I felt they were worth sharing.

s6

Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Muzzleloader Buck! NY DMU 3C

Excellent story and picture. Congratulations on some nice deer. That's a beautiful buck you got there. Between the doe and him your freezer will be nice and full. Again congratulations and nice shooting.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Great deer and great story. thanks for shareing
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations! It usually pays to be patient for the right shot. Well done.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great looking Buck!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Great story and Awesome Buck! Congrat's
Old 12-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, great buck. First muzzleloader hunt ever and you are showing us all how its done!. Enjoy them buck steaks!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck!