Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Which slug - Partition Gold question! >

Which slug - Partition Gold question!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay with the 2 & 3/4 slugs. The extra bang isnt worth it.
77.78%
SWITCH to the 3" slugs. A little extra bang is well worth it!
11.11%
I don't care, I just wanted to post on the poll. :-)
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Which slug - Partition Gold question!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which slug - Partition Gold question!

Hey everyone...

Please read everything before voting:

I have a question about Partition Gold slugs.

I have been shooting the Winchester Partition Gold 2 & 3/4" slugs for a couple years now. I love the slugs, they pack quite the punch though - bench shooting if I shoot a whole box, i'll "feel" my shoulder for a long time. Dad says it's the worst shoulder hurt gun he's shot in a long time, more than his old 300 Whelen (ive never shot it)

Sometime recently, they came out with the Partition Gold slugs in a 3" slug. I bought a couple months after deer season and took two shots with it just to see what they did. Unfortunately it got late and I didn't get to do some more shooting. Either way, my shotgun was zeroed at 150yards with the 2 & 3/4 slugs. When I tried the 3" slugs, not touching the scope - first shot was 1" left, the other was 1"right of zero, both shots were about an inch high ( give or take a little ). It was getting close to dusk, so I might say that the shots not being centered horizontally due to that, but I may have gained an inch of vertical compared to the other slugs.

However, there was a lot more shoulder bang too... but I could care less about shoulder bang in the tree stand. I don't think I've ever noticed recoil when actually shooting at a live deer. I think recoil is always twice as bad while bench shooting than actually shooting something in the field.

What do you think? Switch to the 3" slugs next season, or stick with the 2 & 3/4 slugs?

2 & 3/4 = 1900fps
3" = 2000fps

2 & 3/4 = shoulder punch= 7 ( scale 1-10)
3" = shoulder punch 8 to 8.5 ( scale 1-10 )

(1 being a .22LR, and 10 being hard enough that I can't bench shoot it more than once )

Mind you, this also depends on me shooting these slugs quite a bit in the spring/summer to make sure they group as well ( dont think that'll be a problem ).

Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Which slug - Partition Gold question!

I voted but did not read you biography there. Why don't you go ahead and buy some of each, shoot them and see which one is more accurate and give you the kind of performance that you are looking for and then pick one. A 2 3/4" slug will do a great job, just as the 3" will, so test and pick.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Go with which ever is more accurate in your gun. The performance gain will not be noticable on game in my opinion. I would even try some other ammo to see how it does as well. My slug gun really likes the winchester platinum tips.

Slug guns are pretty picky about what ammo they like, and many do not shoot the faster light ammo that well because of the twist rates on the barrels. The only way you will know is to try them.

According to winchesters specs there is only a 100 fps difference between the two anyway, and they use the same type and weight of bullet. There is probably more variance from shell to shell in either load to be honest. What it will boil down to is if your gun likes 3 inch shells or 2 3/4 in shells better.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Do the 3" kill them any deader? No. If the recoil is that bad either install a dampener or shoot something with less kick.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it's a no-brainer. Stick with the 2-3/4".

I hear whatyou are saying about not feeling the shots in the field (because of being so focused ontaking the animal).

BUT! Your results in the field are directly tied to the bench sessions we do to make sure we're good to go in the field by practicing andmaking sure that scope is still on.If the 3-inchers are buckin ya then you're gonna have problemsboth at the bench and in the field.

If it ain't broke - there's nothing to fix.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt switch if you're not having a problem with the 2 3/4" slugs.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM

I have shot both and they both kick like the devil. I originally stuck with the 2 3/4's because they were a little easier on the shoulder. This year though I switched to the Hornady SST in 2 3/4, half the recoil with better performance. It's a little lighter projectile but it travels at 2000 fps and is more accurate down range. 200 yards is not that difficult with these slugs.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM

I agree with everyone else about picking the one that is more accurate. I use the 2-3/4" Winchester Partition Gold slugs in my Encore 12g slug barrel. They give the best accuracy at 100 yards with sub 2" groups more often than not. The only downside is the recoil, they kick like a mule. The 3" slug just plain knocks the poop out of me if I shoot a box. Just isn't fun and they aren't as accurate.

So I guess try both and pick the most accurate one but bigger isn't always better, or necessary.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

stay with the 2 3/4

[/align]
Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't vote.

TSR6, you're getting good advice. Go with accuracy. Being able to drop that slug into a smaller group further out is more valuable than gaining a bit of velocity, unless your shots will all be far because of terrain. Then you still need a very accurate bullet/slug because your groups get bigger as you get further out. Find the balance that suits your hunt.
I shoot the 2 3/4"s in my Rem 870, and it loves them.

Honestly, I haven'ttried the 3" because the shorties are doing plenty of work with less kick (and less kick is a good thing, think no flinching). The 1,900fps 2 3/4" slug has lots of energy left out at 125 yards and still expands just fine. I took a doe out that far with one in January, and it performed flawlessly. 1/2" entry, 3" wound cavity in each lung, and a 1" exit hole. The lead core mushroomed out to almost an inch and was recovered inside the far shoulder (shot was quartering away), and the expanded jacket (with the rear encapsulated core) zipped straight through the other side of the ribs.