Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deep woods state land hunts?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 PM

Default deep woods state land hunts?

I've never hunted state land before, always private. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done a deep woods atate land hunt.

What I mean ny that is I would love to find a huge chunk of state land and hike a few miles deep into it and camp out and hunt it for 2 or 3 days before heading back.

has anyone done this? I would be sure where to start. Any tips?

P.s. Its a little late to ask this question but I could get prepeared for a trip next season.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deep woods state land hunts?

well i know here that you can camp for sure, but i dont think you can build fires or anything. I myself have not done it but I just dont like the idea of being a couple miles off the beaten track for too long.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Near our cabin we have 10000's of acres of state land surronding us. What we will do is start about 3 in the morning on the four-wheller, and end up to our hunting spots about 2 3/4 miles back. This is where you could literally hear a squirell snoring from a mile away. It is no turning back now. We stay the entire day and do not leave until well pasted dark. I mainly like it because I will NEVER see another soul. Let alone will my stand every get stolen or anything.

My purpose for hunting all day, is because when you are that far back, the deer have no difference of night and day. This is my opinion. These deer don't have cars around, and no open fields to go to. These are true swamp bucks. We have shot deer at all times of the day, no matter the condition.

Just get out there and scout. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure you have the things to survive and find your way back out. A "few miles" back in the deep woods may not sound like far. But if it's an over cast day and it should start snowing making it tough to follow your tracks and the woods look totally different, it's easy to get turned around.
Must have as basics:
[ul][*]Good Topo Map, compass and GPS (if you can get one) Practice using them before you go into the Big Woods.[*]Several ways to start a fire (e.g waterproof matches, butane lighters, etc.) in more than one pocket and pack.[*]Inner and outer clothing that will keep you warm and dry when it drops 20 degrees colder than you thought it might be.[*]Water and/or way to purify water[*]High-energy food that'll be easy to carry and keep.[*]Basic bone saw, folding buck sawor small axe you can cut branches and small dried trees if necessary for building shelter and fire. Even with a tent, I'd still take this.[*]Obviously all the equipment (e.g. rifle sited in for the distant you expect most like to shot, with extra ammunition, field dressing equipment like a good fixed blade, strong knife and sharpener.)[*]Rope for dragging you animal and/or hoisting quartered animal high in between trees out of way of most predators and carrion, if you need to leave it over night to get help bring it out.[*]Good comfortable, warm, waterproof leather boots that you'll need to support your feet and keep them in good shape for the many miles each day you will walk in tough terrain.[*]Several pairs of warm wool or mohair socks that'll keep you feet warm and dry.[*]Warm sleeping bag, if you're really planning to stay out over nights with way to keep you dry at night (see above).[*]Flashlight with extra batteries that'll fit it and your GPS.[*]You can add any number of things that you think you can reasonably carry in. 25 lbs. will feels like 75 after 4-5 miles remember.[*]Take time to stop listen, rest, drink enough water.[*]One of the most important things is to let someone else back home or who knows you exactly the area you'll be hunting in and when you'll be out. If you're not out or haven't contact them by that day/time + 4-5 hours, please ask them in advance to contact those who can look for you. I'd do this, even if you take another friend with.[*]I'll say a prayer for you safety, good success and good time.[/ul]
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it every year. I hunt down in East-Central WV. There are about 1,000,000 acres in the Mon. Forrest in that area. We drive to our camp butwhen we hunt and hang stands mystand is about a 1.5mile walk thru a couple of different hollows and such back into nothing but woods and old logging roads. If I dont hunt my portable I'll usually climb the largest ridge in the area because Im usually garuanteed to be the only one up there. A lot of days I just go "Walk about" and have to see whats over the next ridge and the next etc... Ive been turned around a couple time's and will prob start carrying a GPS for next year but never seem to have any real problems finding my way back.

There are 4 of us that go and we do use radios to keep in touch. I rarely get far enough that Im not in contact with at least one of them.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Iwould like tofind someone to do this with me. I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it by myslef but then again I do want to wait for someone else to be ready to take sucj a trip as this may take forever to be ready for this.

Anyways thanks for the replies. Is there a website for state land (maps, laws, etc.) that someone could reccomend?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I e-mailed you back my friend. I do not know of any websites other than mapping websites. I preffer google earth or yahoo satelitte images. If you would like to look into that further, let me know.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's numerous website and places you can order topo and specialty maps from at various levels of detail. I hope it's okay to give one I've had success getting detailed topo map for a recent Elk hunt in WY.
http://www.mytopo.com/ is that site. I liked the link under "other products" called "Western State Hunt Area Maps".
From there you can select the state, species and hunt area. There not cheap maps, but their waterproof and excellent details with color for different categories (e.g. private, BLM, state, Indian Res., etc.)
If you're not hunting western states, you can check with them or other map dealers and tell them what you're looking for. I'm guessing someone will have the map you'll need.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the info. Im gonna check out some of those maps and try and set up a deep woods hunt for next year.