Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods >

do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods

Old 09-15-2003, 07:59 PM

Default do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods

their has been plenty of times i' ve been coon hunting and seen big deer way back in the woods . the biggins are smart, they won' t to live along time.when it comes season, you bet that i will go back in the deep woods,to harvest the big boys. what about you.

the best never rest.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:01 PM

Default RE: do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods

that ain' t me that killed the big boy. just wonting to let you no. go deep and hunt hard.

the best never rest.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Around here " Go Deep" takes on a different meaning..........We don' t have " Deep Woods" in SC Pennsylvania. The big boys here aren' t DEEP in the woods, they will be deep in the middle of the nastiest stuff that nobody wants to go into and on property where nobody can get at them. This can be something as small as a few dozen acres. They just need a place to hole up during the day, and feed at night..........If you even SEE one of the bigger bucks around, its because you caught them early on a food pattern or later in the season cruising for does.
In between when they feel ANY pressure you have almost zero chance of seeing one of these deer and daylight used in the same sentence.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

There' s no doubt that big bucks like big woods and will be deep into them where most lazy hunters tend not to be but like Matt mentioned, seems we find them when we hunt rabbits in the smallest, nastiest area' s around as well. Deer are survivalists and will take advantage of anywhere they feel humans don' t seem to be much...that could be deep in the woods, in the narlist brush piles or islands in the middle of the river....

So, yes, in your case....go deep.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here " Go Deep" takes on a different meaning..........

Yeah , I go real deep!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Spike

Around here the motto is " go until you see the last hunter and walk another hour" ...................lol...my theory is walk until you find the sign, whereever that may be
Old 09-16-2003, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

My thoughts were along the same line as Matt' s comments. In SE Pa most of the " deep woods" are only several hundred yards wide at the most. Most of the habitat is intermixed woodlots, farmfield fencerows, etc.... Big bucks go where people aren' t...whether that is the deepest thicket or the smallest drainage ditch next to a big highway.

I hunt the thick areas and seldom can take shots more than 20 yards. Hopefully the big boys will be where I am at this season...
Old 09-16-2003, 07:53 AM

Looks like the other guys from PA have summed it pretty well. If you go that " deep" in the woods around here - there' s a road not far awar and hunters are working their way to you.

Now sometimes you can find a sweet " middle" spot where guys will pushing deer to you from both directions. But mainly - hunt the thick crap and be ready.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest deer I ever saw here in Tennessee stayed in some thick stuff about a 100 yards behind a house. There was no way to get to him without him knowing it. I only had access to the area for one season and tried every way in the world to ambush him but he always outsmarted me. It was fun trying.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:44 AM

Here in Florida the woods are so thick that the big ones dont always need to go far to feel safe alot of the nice bucks ive killed bed and feed within 75 yards and most hunters overlook them. I killed one buck a couple of years ago that was bedding in a block of tall pines mixed with oaks surrounded some strips of clear cut. THis block was only about 200 ft x 200ft. but was extremely thick. You couldnt crawl through it with the palmettos and other thick understory.

Quick Reply: do you believe that the big boys stay deep in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.