Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeling like a bad hunter

Old 12-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default feeling like a bad hunter

This is my second year hunting. Got a button buck last year. I still havent got myself a deer this year. I never get bucks to pass by my stand. I always seem to have does that seem to come past my stand. I just wonder how do you get those bucks close to your stand? The only time I see bucks is when I am still hunting.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:40 PM

Default RE: feeling like a bad hunter

Hang in there. If you are seeing does and hunting during the rut, then there is a good chance you'll eventually see a buck. Get to your stand early and don't move around. You also may want to do some more scouting and see if you can find a scrape/rub line in your area.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

its all a luck game now...you will see a buck sooner or later...i was in your same position until yesterday...3 years of hunting and no bucks...this year i finally scored! i actually had a post similar to this a few days ago lol..finally i scored on a buck! im sure i would had a good chance before if i would waited...but i took whatever i seen first...this year i did that too..then i sat tight "buck hunting" because i didnt have another doe tag for that county and sure enough a deer(doe i think) was in front and he was behind her and i got my first buck! stick with it one will show sooner or later! just be patient! that little 6pt rack still makes me feel like a little kid on christmas! the doe(3rd one in my life) got me excited and all..but them antlers are great to have! i might wait next year too and take a doe after the first day just because they are so great! stick with it...good luck!

Old 12-03-2002, 03:32 PM

Have patience when there are doe there are usually buck. You might try rattling it might work. The first rut is over here so I usually just sit still and wait try not to make much noise. Before and during the rut I will use calls and scents, but this time of year I just stay quiet.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Im in the same boat. I saw does at the beginning of the season, but as soon as doe season opened, I havent seen anything. My problem is that at the beginning of the season I have forgotten everything I have learned about hunting.. and I miss opportunities. Since I hunt public land, by this time of the season they are pretty much sticking to the heavy cover. Of course Im not gonna give up. A bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work.

Next year Im gonna get me a black powder rifle so I can hunt that week before gun season opens and get me some meat so I dont feel like I been skunked. I have only scored about half the years I have been hunting.

Hang in there..
Old 12-04-2002, 03:45 PM

i used the primos can and had a couple bucks run by that stand, you could get one and try it. only 9 bucks or so at walmart

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well a couple things to remember when chosing a stand and you want bucks.

First off if you hunt food or open areas...try and get back a little bit. While does will move in these areas during daylight, bucks tend to hang back in the shadows and wait for darkness to feed and move in the open. Sure during rut it can be different, but the does walking by have to be hot...so it is hot or not. When i hunt food or meadows, especially with additional hunting pressure...I set up in the funnels, points, travel corridors but back from the fields edge, sometimes 100 maybe 200 yards or further. Another spot I have found productive on food sources is they usual have a trail that is just inside the bushline, it allows them to see the field, but nothing in the field to see them...this can usually be found in just from the edge of the food source. A bit of a double edge sword with approach direction and wind though...so make sure you know where the beds are and the wind direction.

Also remember bucks tend to travel the less chosen path often paralell or intersecting with the heavy game trail. Look to place your stand at intersections or on these sideline paths. Most times if you tree stand hunt you'll be able to still see the heavy trail but focus on the smaller path.

If you hunt in ridges, the bucks tend to stay on the low side, while does tend to travel high to low. So you have to gear for the buck not the doe.

Set up in rublines, these are areas that both does but prodominantly bucks travel in. This type of transition area is my baby, when coupled with timber ridges, that act as funnels or bottle necks for deer movement both in rut and out of rut.

Well patience is always a key and keep as still as possible. You can try scents, call and rattling but all these things only work with the right conditions and ultimately location. You'll be hard pressed to haul a buck out to field with a set of horns and some scent...they maybe by using the lower head...but ain't that stupid (as some would like you to believe during rut) However use these in the rut or prerut and in the proper location where deer feel comfortable to move during daylight and you have a deadly combo.

big Sky,

If you know where the deer are...get in the thick stuff. Guess why they are their, cause nobody else is? I hunt the sticks even with the pressure low and when it gets hot with hunters my area is even better. Big deer don't really like attention, so one of the keys is getting dirty. Many hunters won't do this, which is good news for the guy that does. Make their haven your heaven!!!