Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Well just as in that vidio, Quigley never misses IN THE MOVIES.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a question.A friend as a child(13-16 years old) was shooting black birds with a bb gun flying.My brother witnessed this countless times.

Later,joins the marines and joins the snyper competition team.Sets countless records while in the military,some still stand today.

Later is sighting his rifle in,gets done shooting dime size groups at 100 yards and sees a deer at 642 yards,shoots deer from a prone positionand dropps it in it's tracks.

IS he a hunter,or unethical?

Face it guys,some people have a gift and have forgotten more about shooting than you or I will ever know.

AND for the record,all the above has happened with someoneI know.

I have seen a 500 yard group with a 25-06 bull barrel gun off the shelf where he could place his finger across all 5 shots.

But hey,we should all stay inside 200 yards right,or is it 100 yards?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Face it guys,some people have a gift and have forgotten more about shooting than you or I will ever know.
And those Rambo movies are real too. I know cause my dads uncles third cousin who was in Nam said he knew a guy just like that over there. Used to take out enemy vehicles with explosive tipped arrows and shoot every enemy sniper he encountered through the end of the other snipers scope and into his eye no matter the distance. Course thats really not that impressive. Get back to me when yall are landing bullets in thimbles at 5000 yards. When you are shooting at targets so far away that the curvature of the Earth and the current moon phase come into play now that's when the men like me separate from the boys like yall. Face it, I just have a gift you guys could never dream of having.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got to give it to you Todd, you have a gift.Where did I put those hip boots?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Todd1700

And those Rambo movies are real too. I know cause my dads uncles third cousin who was in Nam said he knew a guy just like that over there. Used to take out enemy vehicles with explosive tipped arrows and shoot every enemy sniper he encountered through the end of the other snipers scope and into his eye no matter the distance. Course thats really not that impressive. Get back to me when yall are landing bullets in thimbles at 5000 yards. When you are shooting at targets so far away that the curvature of the Earth and the current moon phase come into play now that's when the men like me separate from the boys like yall. Face it, I just have a gift you guys could never dream of having.
So please enlighten us all with your brilliance,what is the ethical range on a deer or any other animal for that matter.You seem to know so much about it.Tell me so I will know my ethical range next year.If I even decide to take my gun.I usually use a bow so please inform me what my max distance for that should be.30 yards or is it 50,nah 50 is to far, right,PLEASE let me know so I will be ready for next year.

Believe me or not,doesn't matter to me but how someone can go through life such a sceptic is beyond me.Must be a miserable state to be in.

Go out and enjoy life a little more and quit worrying whether you are being lied toabout somethingorsomeone else's ethics.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

They NEVER SHOW the misses and the poorly hit and lost animal. Any fool can make a Vidio of a success or two. Go out under all conditions and see how easy it is to miss a distant target like that. Or worse yet, hit it poorly. Great fun for long range Targets. Not live animals. If you can't get closer than that, better buy your meat in a store. Everyone has an opinion and thats mine. SLOB HUNTERS.
Exactly. It makes you wonder what they are up to when they broadcast it over the internet like that. Heck, I'm not even putting all of my faith into believing this crap. Don't believe everything you see?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 PM

"Course thats really not that impressive. Get back to me when yall are landing bullets in thimbles at 5000 yards. When you are shooting at targets so far away that the curvature of the Earth and the current moon phase come into play now that's when the men like me separate from the boys like yall. Face it, I just have a gift you guys could never dream of having. "

Ha ha, I feel the same way.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

So please enlighten us all with your brilliance,what is the ethical range on a deer or any other animal for that matter
There is no way to put one definative number on it. The answer is: The distance within which you can with certainty land a first shot in the kill zone. That distance will of course vary from one personto another and also vary depending apon field conditions. No one however should be launching from 800 or more yards at live game animals. Too many variables for anyone, ANYONE, to make a consistent first shot hit in the vitals. Despite the fact that they never include it in the videos they show people I know that these long range shooters often miss 3 or 4 times (sometimes more) before they get the windage and elevation doped right at those distances. Well if you can be off by enough to totally miss then you could just as easily be off by just enough to blow offa leg, or nose or ear. Pardon me for being overly sensitive I guess but I have a little more respect for the game animals we hunt. The guys like the ones in that video are simply using deer as long range live targets and have no more regard for them than theydo a cardboard cut out. No hunter I have ever met that could have gottenwithin 300 yards of an animal ever backed off to 1000 yards on purpose just to see if he could still hit it. If that's the actual goal of hunting then boy was Itaught wrong. If you are consistently having to take 400 plus yard shots at large game animals even in the open country out west then you may or may not be a good shot but you are without doubt a terrible hunter.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Todd1700

So please enlighten us all with your brilliance,what is the ethical range on a deer or any other animal for that matter
There is no way to put one definative number on it. The answer is: The distance within which you can with certainty land a first shot in the kill zone. That distance will of course vary from one personto another and also vary depending apon field conditions. No one however should be launching from 800 or more yards at live game animals. Too many variables for anyone, ANYONE, to make a consistent first shot hit in the vitals. Despite the fact that they never include it in the videos they show people I know that these long range shooters often miss 3 or 4 times (sometimes more) before they get the windage and elevation doped right at those distances. Well if you can be off by enough to totally miss then you could just as easily be off by just enough to blow offa leg, or nose or ear. Pardon me for being overly sensitive I guess but I have a little more respect for the game animals we hunt. The guys like the ones in that video are simply using deer as long range live targets and have no more regard for them than theydo a cardboard cut out. No hunter I have ever met that could have gottenwithin 300 yards of an animal ever backed off to 1000 yards on purpose just to see if he could still hit it. If that's the actual goal of hunting then boy was Itaught wrong. If you are consistently having to take 400 plus yard shots at large game animals even in the open country out west then you may or may not be a good shot but you are without doubt a terrible hunter.

Dead on, I agree with you 100%.

If you wanna prove how awesome you are by taking ridiculously long shots like that, shoot milk jugs full of water, or cardboard targets where if you're off by .1% you miss and harm no animals instead of risking blowing the leg off a deer, or hitting the jaw and making the poor thing starve to death!

True story, my dad shot a button buck about 4 years back who's lower jaw was half gone from a slug. The wound was still fresh, so it had happened recently, but a deer missing half a jaw cannot eat or drink and will dehydrate and starve to death slowly over a period of days to weeks.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Land the first shot in the kill zone with certanty,then we all better quit hunting because that will never be achieavable.No way can we with CERTANTY land the shot the first time in the kill zone EVERYTIME.

THE ONLY THRILL I get out of rifle hunting is being able to take a long range shot,An 800 yard shot is out of my range and I would never consider it.A 400 yard shot is the max I will try with my rifle,the last rifle I had the distance was 500.Heck,people are getting flamed on this site for taking 200 yard shots,this is rediculous.Everyone has a different goal when hunting,your idea of huntingmay have absolutely NOTHING to do with someone else's.Get over it.

HE!! my 12 year old daughter shot a deer at 140 yards this year.Perfect shot,I had confidence in and her abilities so I let her take the shot.

Maybe this is why 98% of my hunting is done with a bow.

Respecting the animal is one thing but placing it on a pedastal is completely over the top.The last thing I want to do is wound an animal but it happens,we just do what we can to avoid it but I am not losing sleep over it if it happens.

Quick Reply: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.