HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long range hunting! *VIDEO*
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

So please enlighten us all with your brilliance,what is the ethical range on a deer or any other animal for that matter
There is no way to put one definative number on it. The answer is: The distance within which you can with certainty land a first shot in the kill zone. That distance will of course vary from one personto another and also vary depending apon field conditions. No one however should be launching from 800 or more yards at live game animals. Too many variables for anyone, ANYONE, to make a consistent first shot hit in the vitals. Despite the fact that they never include it in the videos they show people I know that these long range shooters often miss 3 or 4 times (sometimes more) before they get the windage and elevation doped right at those distances. Well if you can be off by enough to totally miss then you could just as easily be off by just enough to blow offa leg, or nose or ear. Pardon me for being overly sensitive I guess but I have a little more respect for the game animals we hunt. The guys like the ones in that video are simply using deer as long range live targets and have no more regard for them than theydo a cardboard cut out. No hunter I have ever met that could have gottenwithin 300 yards of an animal ever backed off to 1000 yards on purpose just to see if he could still hit it. If that's the actual goal of hunting then boy was Itaught wrong. If you are consistently having to take 400 plus yard shots at large game animals even in the open country out west then you may or may not be a good shot but you are without doubt a terrible hunter.