Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does with fawns

Old 12-01-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Does with fawns

Is it considered unethical to shoot a doe which is accompanied by fawns, assuming of course that you are in possession of a doe permit?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does with fawns

In my opinion, yes. I refuse to shoot a doe with spotted fawns at her side. Later in the season when the fawns look like they are big enough to fend for themselves nutritionally I intend to shoot a few.

Old 12-01-2002, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Usually around here by the time our season comes in the fawns are old enough to make it pretty well on there own. I have never saw a spotted fawn during our gun season which is in the middle of Nov. But If I did I would not shoot the doe, They would have to be born really late to still be sporting the spots that time of year. But by shooting the doe with older fawns, if one of her fawns is a buck he will probably stay around in the area instead of being run off by her when the rut comes in which means he may still be around in a few years with a hefty rack. If she is left she will probaly chase him plum out of the area to keep from him breeding her.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.

Edited by - strut on 12/01/2002 19:00:39
Old 12-01-2002, 06:35 PM

There is nothing wrong with shooting a doe that is with fawns they are able to fend for themselves by the time any season comes in and they don't need to feed off her milk anymore. Most places need to lower the doe to buck ratio anyway so I'd say shoot any doe you see with fawns or not.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:11 AM

I'll bust one in a heartbeat. The fawns will do fine without mama by the time hunting season comes around. I actually prefer to shoot does with fawns because it lessens the chance of mistaken a button buck for a doe. If there's a couple of small deer with a large one without antlers it's pretty much certain it's a doe.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:20 AM

I seen a Doe and 2 Fawns come near me on the 8th day of Gun Season. I had the (Big) Mama Doe sighted in... but decided there was just to many overhanging Limbs obscuring my shot.
So I lowered my Gun, and 1 of the Fawns seen me, and away all 3 of them went.
Then the next day I seen 2 Fawns come down the same Ridge, from a different direction.
I shot the one that presented me a clear shot, and it turned out to be a Button Buck.
I was happy regardless... It had been a dry first half of Season, but haD a happy ending.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:10 AM

after losing the spots they are just small deer and can make it on there own.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is very common to see small spotted fawns in S. Alabama and N.W. Fl in November and December. I saw 5 small ones this weekend.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never seen a fawn with spots during our seasons in Va. I would not hesitate to take a doe with fawn/fawns as long as the fawn had no spots.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-02-2002, 10:36 AM

Where I hunt in South Carolina the rifle season opens August 15 and doe season opens Sept. 15 so it is common to see does with spotted fawns. I will shoot the doe. I believe that the fawns will still be fine on their own.