Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

review on .270

Old 12-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: review on .270

If I had to choose between the 3 mentioned the 270 would get the nod. If you are shooting long range...flat is what you want the 06 isn't very flat. The 270 will allow for a little more hold on it than an 06. Yes, both will work and in the hands of experienced shooter are good to 400 yards. The 243 is flat but IMO lacks power for our big whitetails bucks in Sask. Also if you plan on ever going for elk or moose the 270 will work (maybe not the best), match your bullet to the game and it works fine. I have taken 3 elk and 2 moose with my 270 Browning Abolt using 140 gr Failsafes and 150 Gr Nosler Parts. In all cases it put them down as good as the 06 shooters in the group. You just must limit your range and shot opp. As for deer i have always fired 130 Nosler Ballistic Tips and all but one poor shot they have been great. I have shot deer from 50-350 yards with this bullet. However I have upped my anty and now tote a 7 rem Mag. To me that is the perfect praire gun, from lopers to moose and flatter than the 270 with more down range power. Since your looking new I would look at the 7 rem Mag as well. In most guns it is less than 50 bucks (CAD) more than a 270. While the recoil and blast are higher it is tolerable for most and will offer you all you'll ever need in Sask. If you are recoil sensitive and plan to hunt the bigger stuff the 270 or 06 will be a fine choice and offer about the same in the recoil department.

Buy the gun that fits you and has the features you like. If you just buy one on price than you'll be sorry later. Tikka makes a reasonable and good shooting weapon in the 600-700 range new. Or look used, with the new gun laws there are some serious deals to be had right now. A buddy picked up a Mod 70 in 270 for 300...it is primo condition.

Scopes, as good as you can. Look at a bushnell 3200(elite) they go for about 320(CAD). Decent glass and lifetime warranty. If you can afford more look at the 4200 Elite, Leupold or Burris..they will set you back 500 and up. I highly reccomend a 3x9x50MM for our country side. The 50MM in Nov. is amazing compared to that of the 40MM, with those grey cloud days at first and last light.