Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun >

308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

Old 01-14-2002, 07:28 PM

Default 308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

I have a 308. Rem and my friend told me it was a brush gun and the guy i bought it from said it had a superior long rang and smooth accuracy. It is Mounted with a 3-9-40 bushnell scope. Brush guns are not supposed to have scopes. I think my friend was a little jealous when i bought it and he needed to find some reason why it wasnt a good long range rifle.

Give me your thoughts
Old 01-14-2002, 07:36 PM

Default RE: 308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

The bullet, not necessiarly the caliber is what makes a brush gun!

The .308 can be either. Use a pointed boattail bullet, and it is great for long range.........Thats one reason the military use this cal........The .308, is the military's 7.62 X 51.

Take that .308, and custome load a round nose bullet, in about 280 gr, and it is hard to beat for a brush gun, especially if it is in a pump action.

Generally a good brush gun is a shorter barrel, lever action, with a low power scope on it!. A scope, yes, I would not have a brush gun without a scope on it, because frequently I sneak up on a "spot in the brush", that catches my attention, yet it doesn't quite look like a deer, till you put the scope on it, and then see it clearly!

A 3 X 9 X 40 is a good brush scope, when carried on 3X. A 2 X 7 is even better for brush. The 3 X 9 X 40 (or better yet 50) is also great for long range.

Now the .308 bolt action (IMHO) is not a brush gun, as the bolt action is a LOT MORE SLOW getting a second shot, which is often needed in heavy brush.

Edited by - pistoltrainer on 01/14/2002 20:50:06
Old 01-14-2002, 07:56 PM

I would sight it in for long range and wait for an open shot. I hate the term BRUSH GUN. This year a man was shot walking through the woods, the shooter had a so called BRUSH GUN, and saw the bushes moving and unloaded his gun.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a good bolt gun the .308 is almost the same as a 30-06. It is capable of much more accuracy than most shooters are.
To me there is not enough difference between calibers like the .270, 30-06 and the .308 among others to make a fuss about!
I had a guy once tell me that my .308 was just a little better than the 30-30! That just showed his ignorance! The .308 is close to the other long range calibers that I mentioned , both in power and trajectory.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:45 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I would sight it in for long range and wait for an open shot. I hate the term BRUSH GUN. This year a man was shot walking through the woods, the shooter had a so called BRUSH GUN, and saw the bushes moving and unloaded his gun.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>porkchop

I am glad you said SHOOTER, and not hunter. Anyone who shoots at movement in the brush IS NOT A HUNTER!!
Old 01-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

No bullet reguardless of shape or weight will shoot through brush without being effected.I have yet to hear of a 280 gr bullet for the 308.That being said the 308 is so close to the 30-06 that no animal will ever tell the difference.They are both fine short to medium range calibers that work well in a variety of situations.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure it was a 180 grain that was meant and not the typo of 280. I don't like the term brush gun either and choose to say woods gun and mine IS a 308. Now a lot of people use 180's up close for hard hitting knockdown power but the bullets punch through and the deer run anyway. That's basically because a 30 caliber 180 grainer is designed for big like moose game. But year after year the 180's get bought up first. I usually use 150's but might try some handloaded 170's designed for 30-30 for some explosive results on the deer's vitals. Chances are I will have some ready this fall. Now that'll be a 'brush' bullet! As for long range, I'll still have some 150's for 'field days'.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is it going to take to make people realize there is no such thing as a &quot;brush busting&quot; bullet. It has been proven in several tests that all bullets, no matter what size, weight, or velocity can not maintain their original flight path after contacting brush. There is no reason to shoot through brush anyway. Wait for a clear shot or don't go into the woods. We have enough slobs out there as it is!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Frizzellr,
Some may but I do not shoot through anything. To me Brush gun, brush bullet whatever is a misnomer. What I meant, more specifically, is the 170 would be a very good close range anchor them on the spot type round but use the misnomer to abbreviate.
But this is a very misleading term, I agree with you. Some, actually very many take the name literally and assume that others do it and that's what it's made for so it must work. Well SORRY to dissapoint all that believe it to be so, IT JUST DOESN'T WORK.
It doesn't matter if it's a spitzer, hollow point, round nose, FMJ, all copper or what have you if the brush is any further than a couple inches from your intended target you're either going to miss or even worse maim but not kill your quarry. There has been extensive tests done by more than one person at independent times all with the same general consensus. The bullet fails to remain on a true course or it fragments and looses velocity and penetrating power due to various reasons, shape and speed being the most obvious.
The only author off the top of my head,at this moment that has done a good deal of testing is Bob Hagel who has written for the North American Hunting Club (NAHC) series of outdoor hardcover books. The one of which is entitled: The Game Rifle copyrighted 1992 and for those interested, I have no interest in their business in any way, shape, manner or form but for more information contact:
NAHC
PO Box 3401
Minneapolis MN

So in closing I want to say that even though the word brush is used with gun or bullet, it only means a style of hunt similar to 'still hunting' or 'stand hunting'. It does not intend to imply the use of said style to be able to shoot through brush then see what fell over after. Anyone who does usually is gravely mistaken but the sad thing is it's the other guy who ends up in said 'grave'.

Frizz, is that better???
Old 01-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only gun I would consider a &quot;brush gun&quot; would be a shotgun, and I do not recommend shooting through brush with anything.

Quick Reply: 308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.