HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2002, 08:14 AM
billyb
Fork Horn

Default RE: 308. Brush gun....or not a Brush gun

Frizzellr,
Some may but I do not shoot through anything. To me Brush gun, brush bullet whatever is a misnomer. What I meant, more specifically, is the 170 would be a very good close range anchor them on the spot type round but use the misnomer to abbreviate.
But this is a very misleading term, I agree with you. Some, actually very many take the name literally and assume that others do it and that's what it's made for so it must work. Well SORRY to dissapoint all that believe it to be so, IT JUST DOESN'T WORK.
It doesn't matter if it's a spitzer, hollow point, round nose, FMJ, all copper or what have you if the brush is any further than a couple inches from your intended target you're either going to miss or even worse maim but not kill your quarry. There has been extensive tests done by more than one person at independent times all with the same general consensus. The bullet fails to remain on a true course or it fragments and looses velocity and penetrating power due to various reasons, shape and speed being the most obvious.
The only author off the top of my head,at this moment that has done a good deal of testing is Bob Hagel who has written for the North American Hunting Club (NAHC) series of outdoor hardcover books. The one of which is entitled: The Game Rifle copyrighted 1992 and for those interested, I have no interest in their business in any way, shape, manner or form but for more information contact:
NAHC
PO Box 3401
Minneapolis MN

So in closing I want to say that even though the word brush is used with gun or bullet, it only means a style of hunt similar to 'still hunting' or 'stand hunting'. It does not intend to imply the use of said style to be able to shoot through brush then see what fell over after. Anyone who does usually is gravely mistaken but the sad thing is it's the other guy who ends up in said 'grave'.

Frizz, is that better???