Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer? >

how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 PM

Default how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Be honest, becuase I know thousands do a year.

In fact, It happened to me this year. I was using a very sharp knife, and was slicing through the skin like butter, it caught on something and then cut through it and my arm flung up and the blade got me in the wrist. A large gash that left skin hanging back resulted, where you could easily see the muscle in my arm. 14 stitches were needed, and luckily i hit no veins, arterys or tendons. but by a very sllim margin. also luckily my knife was very sharp, and i felt literally no paiin because it was so deep. surprisingly it also didn't bleed much at all after the initial squirt that occured.

I wasn't even cutting towards myself. was sideways cutting away, and the knife got stuck at just the wrong angle. I don't even like thinking about it. It looked really grousome.

BE CAREFUL

i now have a nastily large scar on my wrist, and it looks like i tried to kill myself. But it took a good 2 months to heal, and it just fully scarred over this week.

I heard a lot of people get themselves in the leg, and they bleed to death because they hit an artery.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Ya I am pretty rough when I do just about everything. I am always cutting and hurting myself, not bad but I do it a lot. I seem to always cut my finger when I am cleaning deer, or fish.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM

I personally still find it very "icky" to clean game so I am super careful as to not poke a nasty with the tip or cut myself and allow their juices to mix with mine. I'm sure that with probably a good 45 years at least of hunting left in my that it will happen, though.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Heck yeah, Ive cut myself. I was gutting a doe one morning and stabbed myself in my hand. In the meaty part by my thumb. Dont know how I did it but it happened. My knife was good and sharp and I didnt feel much pain either. I just wrapped my handkerchief around it and went to dragging the doe. I still have the scar.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

My first deer i killed was a spike and i was by myself with noone to help drag it out.So i had to field dress it right there and being my first deer and first time i was nervous and all shook up.I had my hand in the chest cavity and was cutting the guts lose from the inside and sliced my middle finger nuckle right to the bone it hurt like heck.I thought i might get deer aids or something because my hand was submurged in blood when it happend.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM

yep i cut my fingers all the time. nothing serious just little nicks every now and then.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM

The first deer I went to gut myself was a big ol' doe, my first Montana mulie. I was so hopped up that when I went to attach my tagby putting a slit through the earI just about cut off my left pointing finger at the knuckle.I've gutted, skinned and butcheredmany deer since and haven't cut myself once, mainly because I always rememberthe feeling of that knife slicing through my own flesh tothe bone.I also attach my tag to a leg or antlerwith tape now. I've always had to learn stuff the hard way.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

every year. I get shook up and skaking and usually end up making a nick on one of my fingers. I call em hunting wounds. Everyone has done it or will do it. It's parta the game.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

I'm usually pretty good when I'm cleaning deer, but I always cut myself when we cut up the deer meat and pork before we make deer sausage.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I personally still find it very "icky" to clean game so I am super careful as to not poke a nasty with the tip or cut myself and allow their juices to mix with mine. I'm sure that with probably a good 45 years at least of hunting left in my that it will happen, though.
X2

Quick Reply: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.