Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer? >

how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 AM

Default RE: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Yes it happens and it sucks ass when it does. Neverhad a bad cut in camp well not to bad at least until last years Elk hunt when my cousin and I were quartering up his 5x5, he cut his Hand bad, so i taped him up, loaded the quarters on the horses and hit the trail out. well wewoke up at 4:AMgrain bagged the horses had some oat meal and hit the trail by 5:AM.He cut himself at about 9:30am and we got to E.R. At about 4:00pm. They did a great job atGlenwood Springs Co. E.R. and wewere out of there at7:30stopped filled the gut, had two shots, two beers. Drove back to the horses andstarted up the trail at about 9:30 road into camp at 2:23am"thats good time in the dark on the mountain"

It happened again this yearto me, and yes it was dam scary crap to deal with. For the complete story and good Field med kit info
http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=1816955

there is a new product called QR POWDER get it at cabela's
The claims are that it will " even stop the bleeding associate with complete transection of the FEMORAL ARTERY.....pretty heady stuff but I saw the actual video of a pig being used as a "patient" in a US army video where they transected his(pigs) femoral artery and it stopped the bleeding and saved his bacon er.... the patient...

It workes both by being positivley charged and cross binding with the negative charges of our red blood cells thus locking them together it also has a astringent characteristic that extracts the water and dehydrates the blood...

The femoral artery is the largest in the human body..and if this product(s) can stop that kind of bleeding it CAN save your life.Used in conjunction with a good pressure bandage it is something that doesnt take up much space but can be THE most important item in any back country first aid kit.

The other amazing property about these product(s) is it is completely reversable..once in a surgical situation and the appropriate sutures have been put in place and volume expanders and blood products have been given the surgeon can irrigate the "clot" made from these products and totally disolve the blockage and resume normal blood flow.....

Pretty cool stuff
I will have it on me at all times now even in my Truck

Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've poked my finger with the point of a knife a few times, but never penetrated my gloves or broke my skin. I can be a real clutz and tend to be a little rough with my cutting, but I make it a point to take my time and think everything through. So far, so good.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:38 AM

SLICE MY KNUCKLE LAST YEAR WHILE SKINNIN A DEER ,,I CLEANED IT GOOD ..BUT IT STILL GOT A KNOT IN IT AND TOOK ABOUT A YEAR TO GO AWAY,,,DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT WASNT COOL...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 AM

I have been lucky the last 10-15 years.
But Ihave MANY scars to prove that the use of the knife is a Skill that you must learn the hard way.
I keep my knives SHARP and carry a Diamond Stick.
I take my time and use a piece of wood instead of my off hand(as much as possible)when field dressing.
Alot of cuts come from "dulling" knives most of the rest fromlack of attention.
Accidents do happen. But many can be avoided with patience.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've nicked my finger before while reaching in with both hands to sever the windpipe as far up as I can. No big deal through.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I have cut myself and also stabbed myself while gutting a Deer.
I used to split the rib cage while gutting,But after having the knife slip out and stab myself in the Calf of the leg about 1&1/2 inches deep into the muscle.
I stopped doing that practice,Now I wait till I get it back to the house to use the saw on it.
Had to go to the Hospital for that one,Get it cleaned out and stitches.
I walked with a limp for awhile Man that hurt.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 AM

I've cut my fingers a couple times. I usually end up sticking them with the tip, not really slicing them. Mostly on super cold days whenI couldn't feel my hands. One thing I ready that's a little scary is you can get Lyme disease from the blood since the bacteria is still alive in the warm blood. Be careful.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have before, my knives are very very sharp and it just don't take much to cut a finger.. Plus when your hands are freezing cold and you put them in a warm deer you can't always feel them.. lol
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM

I dont know of anyone around here that has NOT cut themselves cleaning a deer. I actually know of 2 guys ( I will just keep them unidentified) that managed to cut themselves to the bone while sharpening the knives, they hadn't even started on the deer yet. Lot's of grief was given on that one!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knock on wood...but I've never cut myself while gutting/skinning/processing a deer. I've poked myself 1-2 times, but nothing that ever broke through my gloves.

Actually, my dad has cut me more times than I have...I can think of two different times when he has gotten me with his knife...LOL

Quick Reply: how many of you have cut yourselves while gutting a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.