Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stray Dogs Problem

Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Stray Dogs Problem

So you think your hunt was ruined? Let me tell you my experience. I went hunting one morning at the family farm. When I pulled up to the house in the early morning I penned my dads dog up, then walked the mile or so to where I was hunting. Long about 8 am I hear something coming through the woods. I thought it was a buck trailing my dragline scent trail because it was following my tracks in. I got ready. Just then I see dads Golden Retriever (Boo) coming through the woods tracking me. When He got to my stand he even barked "tree". I hollered at him to go home. No luck. He even hiked his leg on the base of my stand. He milled around and decided to chase squirels, coming back to check on me every 10 minutes or so. I figured I was wasting my time but it was a beautiful morning and I was comfortable so I decided to stay anyway. Long about 10 am I hear what I thought was Boo coming back to check on me. I look up just in time to see a nice 8 point heading directly at me. He passed out of range so I didn't fill my tag that morning but I was surprised that all the racket hadn't ruined my hunt. About 2 minutes later here came Boo running back to see if I was still in the tree.

I wouldn't shoot those dogs. Heck, they might be some kids best friend. Now If they are certainly strays and seem to be suffering from malnutrition or something I wouldn't hesitate to put them down.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 AM

If you do decide to shoot them don't say anything to anybody. Just dig a hole and forget it ever happened. You also better make sure you kill it. I've heard of guys almost going to jail for shooting a stupid dog. I seen a story where a guy shot a dog with his bow and it made it home. They followed the blood trail back to the hunter and he was in big trouble. I know he got fined but not sure about jail. They will try to pin cruelty to animals on you unless it's justified. Some states you can shoot anything that's on your land others take the dog's side.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I personaly believe that if the owner really cares about his dogs he will tie or pen them up during deer season.Id say shoot them,pets or no pets.I have a pack of beagles and i would not dare let them out during deer season.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly believe that if the owner really cares about his dogs he will tie or pen them up during deer season.Id say shoot them,pets or no pets.I have a pack of beagles and i would not dare let them out during deer season.
That's exactly how I feel. It's the owners responsibility to make sure the dog is safe. If it wonders into the area I am hunting, I'm sorry, but I would kill it and make no apologies for doing so.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

All the people that post on the internet that a hunter will shoot a dog illegally isn't the best picture that we want to paint for the non hunters and antis to read, or is it???????! Some people need to think before tying....jmo

I personally would take the chance on breaking the law and losing my hunting privilege, but thats just me! If its legal where you hunt then go for it, but in the same token you just ruined your own hunt by shooting, then a dead dog laying there! Catch 22!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah, on the Responsible "dog owners", how about the responsible "hunter"! I tell ya these shooting dogs are the lamest threads EVER and should be deleted everytime they come up, which is once a week! JMO!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, on the Responsible "dog owners", how about the responsible "hunter"! I tell ya these shooting dogs are the lamest threads EVER and should be deleted everytime they come up, which is once a week! JMO!
Then who holds the responsibility? Have you ever had a problem with Dogs while you were hunting? I don't mean one just running buy. I am talking about dogs that run deer, run deer off while you are hunting, hang around the area for hours and never go home because the owner don't feed them anyway.

I don't think the responsibility lands on the hunter to not shoot an animal that has been let loose to run amuck..............sorry.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 PM

If it's obvious that it's a stray-I say shoot it. Otherwise, try to find the owner of the dog. Or Shoot over it's head or on the ground to scare it away.
JMHO
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Deaf, that is what the .223 was made for.