Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stray Dogs Problem

Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Stray Dogs Problem

HERE'S ONE PROBLEM.. what would you do if you see stray dogs running around? Thats what happened this am @7:30. Thats makes me mad. I believe that dogs will scare deer awayfor awhile. Am I wrong about the dogs? (they are not hunting dogs)

Deafhunter

Old 12-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stray Dogs Problem

ORIGINAL: dealhunter

Am I wrong about the dogs? (they are not hunting dogs)
That's up to your discretion!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:11 AM

[:@] [:@] [:@] Shoot em'
Old 12-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

HERE'S ONE PROBLEM.. what would you do if you see stray dogs running around?

If they are on my land...................kill em. If I am hunting on someone else, I'll ask the land owner what he/she wants done. They can ruin a deer hunt and an entire area IMO.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure the dogs scare the deer away, I've had a few times when they have caused me problems. Once 2 does came busting out of some brush and I heard something else coming so I prepared myself, it was the ugliest thing I'd seen on 4 legs, matted with mud and nasty looking. Certainly not a dog that would have been taken care by a family. I grunted my call, it stopped and looked my direction and just charged at me growling. At the time I was hunting off a seat that straps to a tree. Only when I stood up and lowed my gun on it did it stop, maybe realizing I was a human and took off the other way. I know guys that would have shot it, I own a dog so I'm not into killing them but would have had no problem in this case if he continued to charge me. I'll also add I've had other hunters actually screw my hunt up 10 times more than dogs.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I was sitting on this hardwood ridge earlier this season, about a mile from the nearest house. About 1/2 hour after sunrise I hear something coming to me, it was twodogs, apure-bred brittany spaniel and a golden retriever. No collars and no leash law here.Thebritnoticed me and started barking non-stop for at least 15 minutes. They eventually moved on. They weren't running deer, andthey just passed into law you can't shoot dogs running deer anymore. I couldn't see shooting someone's pets anyways...it just sucked, hunt ruined.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would never shoot someone's family companion because it was simply on my property and I don't care if it was running deer or not. I would find out where it lived and confront the owner. If they care about the dog, they'll take care of it. If they don't, then I guess I'd have to.

My dog is my best friend. He is loyal as the workday is long. I know with no doubt that my family is protected and looked after while I am away. He can find a dead deer no problem, he's also learning to stalk/still hunt with me. Problem is, my dog also has a job. He works at the farm behind my property on occasion when the farmer is having trouble with some livestock. Now I know that I am responsible for my dog, and no matter what. But what if he were to run into the woods to chase a deer when the farmer had let him get bored or something and someone were to shoot him? That would be tragic, but not an accident, and someone would pay, dearly.
I would only shoot the dog as a last resort.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 AM

unless the dog showed aggression toward you, i'd say you probably shouldn't shoot it. pack up and move one or hope nothing noticed it was there.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 AM

If you are 100% sure that it is stray/wild, kill it. If it is possibly a pet that just wandered away, let it wander back. I've had it happen both ways.

If it appears to be a pure bread, groomed dog that just doesn't happen to be wearing a collar, I'd bet it belongs to somebody. Pets are off limits.

I've had hunting dogs come through running coyotes before. They'll roam the countryside chasing coyotes, scaring the deer to high heck basically ruining the hunt, all while the owner sits in his truck and waits. Only then do I get a little ruthless...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: il coyote

If you are 100% sure that it is stray/wild, kill it. If it is possibly a pet that just wandered away, let it wander back. I've had it happen both ways.

If it appears to be a pure bread, groomed dog that just doesn't happen to be wearing a collar, I'd bet it belongs to somebody. Pets are off limits.

I've had hunting dogs come through running coyotes before. They'll roam the countryside chasing coyotes, scaring the deer to high heck basically ruining the hunt, all while the owner sits in his truck and waits. Only then do I get a little ruthless...

The few problems I had was not even being able to tell if it was a "pet" or "wild'. Unfortunatly where I hunt in Southern Illinoissome locals don't bother to put a collar on their dogs.Me, I just couldn't kill a dog and take a chance it might belong to somebody, unless it was about to attack me. Even ifthe owners are too stupid totie or pen it up duringthe hunting season.

Quick Reply: Stray Dogs Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.