Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

doe slaughter???

Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default doe slaughter???

I'm totally confused!! I hunt in NY, and in my zone you may try for a deer mangement permit (DMP) with 3 preference points only. The reason for the preference points is to cut down on the doe kill because of the lack of deer. So far this makes sense. Now, when muzzleloader season opens you may fill each tag that you haven't filled with a DOE. Does this make sense??????????
I'm not judgeing anyone out there, but we all pretty much realize that the inline loaders today shoot just like a single shot rifle. In addition, the worse time to kill a deer is in December after they have probably been breed. This one shot may actually kill the doe and her two embryos (again this is only a guess).
Can anyone else see why this puzzles me??
Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: doe slaughter???

I'm not sure I would call that a doe slaughter. The fish and game personel set the limits and days of season based on population numbers and the carrying capacity of the land, especially in the winter months in northern states. Heck, we can shoot two does a day for the entire season with rifles, about 100 days in Alabama. I'm not in favor of the modern muzzleloaders having the name "primitive weapon", but that is for another thread.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 PM

I don't know what WMU you are talking about, but depending on the WMU you may be limited to antlered deer only during the ML season.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Spike

The WMU is 5n, 5k and other southern zone areas. I know that the tags can be filled with does.
In response to using the phrase "a doe slaughter", was mainly to get the attention of hunters to read the post.
Thanks for responding guys. Have a Merry Xmas .
Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 AM

i hate to open a can of worms, but i agree. I think archery season should also be changed. Compounds and cross bows are way to effective to let them hunt a month and a half. I live i michigan by the way. I think it's the same story with muzzleloaders. They now have scopes and shoot 200 grains of poweder, and 250 grain bullets. I think they are just a single shot rifle. We can't outlaw technology, but we can see it as wrong. I live in a QDM unit where it's brown it's down. TB and CWD are a big hit around here. THe deer are hunted from september throught the first of the new year. I hunt with a recurve bow, and from brush blinds, its a real kick in the butt when a compund shooter arrows a large buck while sitting 30 foot up a tree overllookin a huge corn pile. IT happens to me all the time.