Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting a Farm

Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Hunting a Farm

I am going hunting in the morning on a local farm. It is about 75 acres or so. It has multiple pastures, anda pond fed by a stream. There are also some nice rolling corn fields. Well there was corn, It is plowed over, but still a little husk and stalk left over. There is a big hill overlooking pretty much all of the pastures, and woods. I have hunted the top of the hill a couple of times already this season. Sureisaniceskimask and I went a couple of Saturdays ago, and he saw his first deer from there. It was a small doe comming out of the wooded area, across the corn field, and over the road. Since then, I have'nt seen any deer.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a natural blind that I could set up on the top of this hill, without being too visable. I think the deer may see me up there and are going around another way. So far, I have just been putting a little camo burlap up between two stakes, and sitting behind it...any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting a Farm

Cervidslayer, I made a blind out of those grass mats that they sell for waterfowl hunting.Think theyre called Shadowgrass or something.Theyre cheap, rolled up theyre easy to haul around, and they dont wiegh much.If you got a weedpatch near where your hunting they blend in suprisingly well, at least to a deers vision.I have had deer come within 8 to 10 ft of mine while 2 guys were sitting behind it without noticing us, my 11 yr old son shot his deer using it this year.If your interested I can tell you how I made mine, if you cut em wrong they will fall apart
Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: petasux

Cervidslayer, I made a blind out of those grass mats that they sell for waterfowl hunting.Think theyre called Shadowgrass or something.Theyre cheap, rolled up theyre easy to haul around, and they dont wiegh much.If you got a weedpatch near where your hunting they blend in suprisingly well, at least to a deers vision.I have had deer come within 8 to 10 ft of mine while 2 guys were sitting behind it without noticing us, my 11 yr old son shot his deer using it this year.If your interested I can tell you how I made mine, if you cut em wrong they will fall apart
Yea, sure. How do you make them?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a couple of cheap plastic rods at Menards, kinda resemble re-rod but theyre green.Wrap the ends of the blind around these and hold em in place with plastic ties, youll have to make small slits in the grass to do this but theres a string that runs down the edges that should hold it together.Make sure you leave about 6 inches of the stake below the bottom of the blind to push into the ground.

Take a couple chunks of rope about 3 ft long or so and tie around the top of the stakes, on the other end of these I just tied a couple plastic tent stakes, youll need these if theres much wind to keep it from blowing around.

On mine I also had to cut a shooting hole through it due to my son being much shorter then I am.If your sitting on the ground its taller then a adult anyway so you may need one or you can just shoot around the edges.

For this I just took a tin snip after figuring out where to cut the hole and cut a slot out of the middle big enough to shoot through.On the back side of this I took some wire mesh, like chicken wire or something, and used more plastic ties to secure it over the hole and hold everything together.After its secure just cut the wire out around the hole with a tin snip.I used the strings that run through the blind for the most part to attach the mesh and if you use a light mesh it should roll right up when your done with it.

Wieghs a couple pounds at the most and the ropes on the outside also double as a binder to tie it together when your carrying it.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks, petasux I will have to try that...PETA does suck.

Anyone have other suggestions?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stay off the top of any hill, you'll be siloutted against the sky way too easily. Get down the side of the hill a bit where you'll blend in,

Another good option is to find where the deer are crossing the pastures and get into the woods a bit where you can see out into the pastures and maybe even have shots into the pastures or deer on the edges, or wait til they come into the woods. On the edges along the pastures there are nearly always big deadfall trees and these make great spots to hide in or behind, maybe even add your camo burlap.

You may or may notbe able to harvest atrophy buck like Salty always does, but filling your freezer with some tasty doe meat is no shame (unless you are salty - he'd consider you a slob hunter).

Remember, wind in your face is always best.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

On our farm, we use hay bales. make them into a <_> shape. Nice and warm too.. you can tuck down into it..
Old 12-16-2006, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Stay off the top of any hill, you'll be siloutted against the sky way too easily. Get down the side of the hill a bit where you'll blend in,

Another good option is to find where the deer are crossing the pastures and get into the woods a bit where you can see out into the pastures and maybe even have shots into the pastures or deer on the edges, or wait til they come into the woods. On the edges along the pastures there are nearly always big deadfall trees and these make great spots to hide in or behind, maybe even add your camo burlap.

You may or may notbe able to harvest atrophy buck like Salty always does, but filling your freezer with some tasty doe meat is no shame (unless you are salty - he'd consider you a slob hunter).

Remember, wind in your face is always best.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I went this morning, and saw two does. I did'nt shoot because one was too small, and the other came running up the hill tword me, and when she saw me, she took off running back down the hill. I called out, and she stopped. She was on my 7:00 and when I turned to get a shot...It didnt look like a good angle, and the sun was shining directly in my eyes. It whited out my scope so I could'nt see crap anyway. I will try your advice next Friday.