Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Farm Land Whitetails >

Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Well guys, I've spent all of my hunting life hunting mountain whitetails outside of my trip to Canada or when I lived in Montana hunting the river bottoms.

This weekend while at a V-ball Tournament my wife was coaching at, I ran into a former football player of mine.. Well his dad actually. Today, 12 years later Buck (myformer player)and his father Steve own and operate I believe they said over 30,000 acres of wheat, barely, peas and bean farms about 2.5 hours south of where I currently live. We got to talking and the topic of hunting came up and I asked them if they minded me hunting on their lands. Steve said, nope not at all, he went on to say"we dont post our land and we let who ever wants to hunt, hunt it" as long as they ask...So I am suretheir propertiesget some to a lot ofpressure, especially during rifle season,but hopefully not to much in the early and late archery season. I am pretty excited to say the least andlooking forward to spending some time this sping and summer scouting the land and getting to hunt actual farm country whitetails! There are some pigs killed down in that area every year.

I can already invision big velet bucks in late August that are still on their summer feeding patterns.. we'll have to see.. (my archery season opens aug 30th)

Having my summers off as a teacher, should make for some scouting trips and filming trips to this area very realistic in July and early August.. not to mention a trip or two down for sheds this month..
Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Do you need a guide?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have a lot of hunting to look forward to
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, nope, but I am sure I will have some ?'s for all you farm land whitetail hunters.. Be interesting to see how things work down there.. versus here in the big woods.. You guys arewelcome to come out and help me though! He told me I could bring a friend or two!

KS.. yes sir.. Ihave a lot of prep to do and I am sure I will have to pattern hunters down there more than anything.... I am sure the obvious will be obvious to any average hunter, I am gonna need to spend a couple weeks down there in late summer I believe...

I know when I coached Buck and his brother Brain ..both of them always had to work really hard to make it to practice during double days in Mid August.. to Sept ... they had Harvest.... sure thats gonna change where the bucks go..bout the time season opens..

I will be picking all of you guys brains that deal with this in crop country.. The more I find out, the more i will run by you guys..
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Do you need a guide?
ORIGINAL: shed33

Greg, nope, but I am sure I will have some ?'s for all you farm land whitetail hunters.. Be interesting to see how things work down there.. versus here in the big woods.. You guys arewelcome to come out and help me though! He told me I could bring a friend or two!

Now them whitetails would be in trouble with a combo such as you 2!! That I would like to see! Good to hear you found yourself some more hunting land there Troy. Troy, you will be fine hunting these farm land bucks, you've got that (whitetail) (buck) instinct in you. I would think it would be tougher hunting them mountain terrain bucks or huge large wooded areas like you do now. Good luck!!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Troy, you're a lucky son-of-a-gun. Its hard to imagine having a farmer with that much land letting people hunt with permission. Its getting rarer here in Illinois to gain permission to hunt any amount of land. Good luck to you and sounds like you are gonna have a blast figuring that place out.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesome, for seeing a lot of deer try to key on pinch points and bottlenecks between bedding and feeding and for hunting mature bucks, during the evening hunt, hunt where the is a large group of timber by a crop field. Mature bucks stay in these woods until dark when they come out to feed
Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh that poor buck that you find this summer, he won't stand a chance.

Trust me, after what you pull off up in those mountains, this type of hunting will be a cake walk to figure out.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Great find!!

The wind should be more predictable in the flat country!

Also, funnels, funnels, and.......FUNNELS. These are a farmland hunters BEST friend!

I am sure you will find, it is a blast hunting farmland whitetails!!

Quick Reply: Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.