Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Right Ammo??

Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Default The Right Ammo??

I just bought a new Winchester M70 SuperShadow in .300 WSM, andI had a Leupold 3-9 X40 rifleman scope mounted on it. I figured I could use this 1 rifle for everything from Whitetails to Elk.

The only problem is I can't decide which ammo to zero with? I would like to use the new Winchester XP3 in 150 grain, but I'm also thinking about the 180 grain. Would the 150 grain XP3 be a good choice? Not only on Whitetails, but Elk too??
Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: The Right Ammo??

I'm really impressed with Federal Fusion, but I'm not sure if they make a .300 WSM.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thegamehunter

I just bought a new Winchester M70 SuperShadow in .300 WSM, andI had a Leupold 3-9 X40 rifleman scope mounted on it. I figured I could use this 1 rifle for everything from Whitetails to Elk.

The only problem is I can't decide which ammo to zero with? I would like to use the new Winchester XP3 in 150 grain, but I'm also thinking about the 180 grain. Would the 150 grain XP3 be a good choice? Not only on Whitetails, but Elk too??
xp3 is so new the real life reviews aren't popping up yet. In theory yes the 150 should work just fine. As to what your gun likes you'll have to shoot them first to find out. If it were me I'd shoot pick the 180's on the account of elk use, b/c of the higher SD offered by the 180 gr .308 bullet and not knowing what to expect from this new offering. I like the insurance factor when dealing with game that is larger than deer.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about a compromise. See if someone is making 165's...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Would the 180 grain XP3 be okay on the whitetails, or at close range? I don't want to completely destroy them. Some people tell me .300 WSM is too big a caliber for whitetail to begin with, thats why I was thinking the 150 grain. But I agree with you - it's better to be overgunned than under. I wish they made them in 165 that would be perfect. I'm stuck on the XP3 after reading about them, but that could all be marketing hype? Any other excellent choices for ammo in my case?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good friend of mine has a 300 WSM he uses for deer hunting and IMHO it is overkill. Shoot a deer in the shoulder and it blows the far side off. I'm not sure which cartridges he uses.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Would the 180 grain XP3 be okay on the whitetails, or at close range? I don't want to completely destroy them. Some people tell me .300 WSM is too big a caliber for whitetail to begin with, thats why I was thinking the 150 grain. But I agree with you - it's better to be overgunned than under. I wish they made them in 165 that would be perfect. I'm stuck on the XP3 after reading about them, but that could all be marketing hype? Any other excellent choices for ammo in my case?
Well contrary to what some believe,a larger bullet is better suited for closer shots as the bullet starts out slower to begin with and impact velocity is lower reducing the expansion to some degree. I personally think a larger or better built built is a better choice for closer shots then a lighter bullet. The main benefit to the lighter version is a flatter trajectory which obviously isn't a prime concern in shorter range!!

As to other bullets the Nosler Partition, TBBC, Failsafe, Barnes TSX, Accubondall will do what your asking. In all but the barnes TSX and failsafe which are all copper I'd be looking at the 165-180 versions for lead core bullet for a deer/elk combination.

I don't think a 300 is too much gun for whiteatil, though it certainly isn't required either. the fact you hunt deer and elk with one gun makes it a good choice IMHO.

Forgot to mention hit shoulder and expect meat loss regardless of the caliber or bullet used, this can be curtailed with a better constructed bullets some but you'll still need to trim. Put any of them behind the shoulder or in the ribs and waste very little. Shot placement !!

Good Luck
Old 12-14-2006, 05:00 PM

I think I will go with the 180 grains then. A 300 WSMshould still outperform others in shooting flatter, even with the 180 grain right?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I will go with the 180 grains then. A 300 WSMshould still outperform others in shooting flatter, even with the 180 grain right?
Thats a loaded question, in comparison to what others?? According to Olin(winchester) the difference in trajectory between the 150 and 180gr XP3 for long range @ 300 yards 1" and 400 Yards 2.5"(in favor of the 150 gr version). IMHO nothing to concern yourself with, especially since you mentioned closer range. Of course thistheir numbers with their test rifle,so before you assume you should shoot both at intended hunting ranges to see what the difference is in your rifle.