HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Right Ammo??
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Right Ammo??

ORIGINAL: thegamehunter

Would the 180 grain XP3 be okay on the whitetails, or at close range? I don't want to completely destroy them. Some people tell me .300 WSM is too big a caliber for whitetail to begin with, thats why I was thinking the 150 grain. But I agree with you - it's better to be overgunned than under. I wish they made them in 165 that would be perfect. I'm stuck on the XP3 after reading about them, but that could all be marketing hype? Any other excellent choices for ammo in my case?
Well contrary to what some believe,a larger bullet is better suited for closer shots as the bullet starts out slower to begin with and impact velocity is lower reducing the expansion to some degree. I personally think a larger or better built built is a better choice for closer shots then a lighter bullet. The main benefit to the lighter version is a flatter trajectory which obviously isn't a prime concern in shorter range!!

As to other bullets the Nosler Partition, TBBC, Failsafe, Barnes TSX, Accubondall will do what your asking. In all but the barnes TSX and failsafe which are all copper I'd be looking at the 165-180 versions for lead core bullet for a deer/elk combination.

I don't think a 300 is too much gun for whiteatil, though it certainly isn't required either. the fact you hunt deer and elk with one gun makes it a good choice IMHO.

Forgot to mention hit shoulder and expect meat loss regardless of the caliber or bullet used, this can be curtailed with a better constructed bullets some but you'll still need to trim. Put any of them behind the shoulder or in the ribs and waste very little. Shot placement !!

Good Luck