Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

game feeders

Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Default game feeders

Iam thinking of picking up a game feeder. I looked in Cabelas they range from 49-250 bucks. Some are 5 gal pales to 250 lb drums with timers. What do you guys use, how often do you refill them? I need some in put on what to do.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: game feeders

I set my first feeder out today. Its a large peice of plastic pipe with an agle head at the bottom. I put corn in it and the gravity pulls it down as the deer eat it. I strapped it to a tree along a trail and set my deer camera out in front of it and ill see what i get after a couple days.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on how often you want to get out there and fill it, will determine the size. A 55 gallon, with timer will let you feed a couple of months without refilling. A 5 gallon, "on demand" feeder can last a couple of weeks to one day, depending on how hard they are hitting it!
You can buy a timer and build your own feeder for less than 150.00!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I would stress the importance of NOT using a "gravity" feeder, If You must feed, use only a broadcast feeder, one that realy slings it out there.

Any "pile" or "trough" of corn is just a disease spreader, all the deer are "lipping" the same corn. States have banned ALL feeding of deer (not just for hunting) because of this problem.

I dont have a problem (ethics wise) with someone hunting over a bait pile (It aint My idea of hunting though), but I do have a problem with it's impact on the deers health.

Slack