Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Game Feeders

Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Game Feeders

I purchased two mechanical game feeders on-line today. My intent is to use them for deer. I have a couple of questions. Do you guys usethem all year (except for the deer season obviously)? What type of feed do you use? What type of feed is best? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Game Feeders

i use them all year round...i have Moultie feeders....i do take them out before every turkey and deer season...because i hunt the same area....i use the pellet feed...its called scratch...it has a mixture of seeds including corn....it grows healy deer and of course helps the Racks that they sport.....but i also manage the property...meaning taking out some does....Honkers
Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 AM

I use electronic, and some home made gravity feeders made out 8" pvc pipe that work real well.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one in the backyard and keep it there year round. I don't shoot these deer. I like to observe them and I've learned a good bit about behavior.

I usually just fill with shelled corn. I have tried soybeans and deer pellets but they get mushy in wet weather. The deer seem to prefer the corn and I have trouble getting them to eat the deer pellets and soybeans. I know the corn doesn't give them much nutrition but they love it.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM

ive got a kenco straight shooter and a remington spin feeder....(love the remington) i use them year round with shelled whole corn.....ive tried some fo the high protein deerr feed and they wouldnt touch it.it just laid on the ground and got moldy....... but they tear up the corn
Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shelled corn. The pellets will clog it up if they get wet, as someone already mentioned.