Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what is considered a "primitive" weapon? >

what is considered a "primitive" weapon?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is considered a "primitive" weapon?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 AM

Default what is considered a "primitive" weapon?

I always assumed it was bows and muzzleloaders and this little summary of Mississippi game laws book I have doesn't really give a clear explanation.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Default RE: what is considered a "primitive" weapon?

A rock. A caveman throwing star, spear, slingshot, blowgun, bones made into knifes and clubs a snare. They allow or don't allow the use of primitive weapons?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess a traditional bow, a stick n' string.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Every state might have a different interpretation as to what "primitive" is.

Bow season is still bow season. No crossbows, unless you medically approved, or anything else. Just stick and compound bows.

However, Mississippi enacted a law last year that had unintended consequences. Basically, the intent was to allow breach loading firearms designed before 1890 or so to be used with black powder cartridges during the muzzle loading season. The type firearms they were thinking about were Sharps, rolling blocks, high walls, etc. Well, the definition was very broad and they eliminated the requirement for black powder, fearing someone would blow themselves up trying to load black in a cartidge. Anyway, the rule got watered down to any single shot of a design before 1890, exposed hammer and above 38 caliber. What no one counted on, or thought of, was that the whole handi rifle line, H&R tip up line etc suddenly became legal during M/L season. So, now in Miss during M/L season lots of people are using Browning High Walls, low walls, handi rifles, Sharps, Buffalo rifles etc loaded with everything from 44 Mag, 38-55, 45 Colt, 45-70 and every other caliber above .38 you can think of. The irony of it all is that you CANNOT use an Encore!?!??!!? They say the design is too modern!!

Many, like myself, still use their muzzys (I shoot my encore, yesterday got the 12th in two years, I don't see any reason to change)

The other side of the coin is that Miss has the second larges herd of deer next to Texas and it is growing faster than the hunters are taking them out. So, I don't expect to see it change any time soon, other than making the Encore legal too!!!

Hank
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Something that doesn't make a BANG noise.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Homemade bows and arrows made of common available materials. The concept that compounds and any firearm are "primitive" is a bit rediculous. Even the old flintlocks are too modern to be called "primitive" IMHO. They should just set the hunting dates and let everybody hunt with whatever they want to.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting with a spear while being mounted on a horse, like in the middle ages, the way people used to hunt hogs.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 AM

a muzzle loader with out a scope,,,,,,a recurve or long bow without any kinda sites
Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 AM

i meant a hammer lock ml ,hawkins style no scope ...