Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any suggestions on a strategy? >

Any suggestions on a strategy?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any suggestions on a strategy?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any suggestions on a strategy?

I have seen this P&Y class deer on the propertry I hunt for about 3 weeks. I saw him almost everyday a few weeks ago and then he dissappeared. I figured he was killed. Anyway I have seen him back again at morning and night yesterday and today. I think things quieted down after the rut and now the second rut has him out again. Or maybe it is the cold weather.

Here is the problem I always see him out on this huge 1000 yard by 200 yard field. I never have a close enough shot with a bow. I have been within 75 yards of him a few times. Anyway I can't pinpoint where he is entering the field.I go wher I have seen him enterand he comes out on the other end and then I go there and he comes out right in the middle. I think he is laughing at me sometimes.

However he always makes his way to this one spot about75 yards off the fields edgewhich is where I have been setting up and that is where I get within the 75 Yard range. No matter what I do I cant grunt him in either. He is laways with a few does so he wants nothing to do with me when I grunt. I am getting frustrated and need some advice.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: Any suggestions on a strategy?

Snort Wheeze at him....see if that will get him worked up!!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Try an estrous bleat maybe, not sure. Sounds like you're doing what you should and he's not noticing you there. Just keep at it. Good luck.
Brandon
Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 PM

haha im with tyrone, Snort Weeze at him
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you know where he is bedding? If so find his transition route from bedin thecover vs trying to figure him out in the open. I'd be looking for a trail that may run him parrellel to the field inside the bush and shadows. He might actually come to the same spot every time from bed butjustmoves alongatrail inside the bushlineand pops out in the actual open when feels safe or picks up a scent he wants to investigate.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Skeeter, he's gotta be bedded down in there somewhere, go farther up in there and sit ALL DAY. He's got to get up and stretch and pee and poop. He's up in there all day long until he thinks it's safe to come out in the open, so get up in there and find him. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Maybe try calling the does with a fawn distress call?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Almost had him this morning. Posted up in some real thick stuff with two shooting lane possibilities. It was still too dark and the wind took my hearing out of the game. I was lookingto the rightand out of the corner of my eye to the left at 15 yards I saw movement. Swung around and saw the ivory white antlers dissappear into the briars. Started grunting and wheezing but nothing. Mu buddy said he saw him a few mionutes later trailing two does. I wasn't gonna get his attention with them right with him.

I am starting to pattern him. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Good luck with him, hopefully you will bag him!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Spike

i would buy a rifle if its legal wherever you live

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on a strategy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.