Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Superstitions

Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Deer Hunting Superstitions

I have to believe that most of us out there have superstitions that we do every deer season. I thought it would be fun to share them in the forum. As for me I have many. I wear the same hat every bow season, and the same hat every gun season. I don't shave till I shoot one...there have been times when I don't look so hot. When I buy new arrows I select the best one and set it aside. I call it my virgin arrow. Come bow season that arrow is the one that is on my string. I shoot that arrow and that arrow only for as long as I have it. Every year on the eve of gun season I load my gun and then eject every shell. I only carry five shells with me, and every opening morning I rack a round into my gun, as soon as I get to the blind, and announce that it's time for something to get shot.

Mine aren't all that good, but I am sure there are some funny ones out there. Lets hear em.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Deer Hunting Superstitions

on the morning of rifle seasoni holda bullet in my hand and carry itfrom he time i leave me house untill i get to the stand. the other rounds are in my pocket. i like to keep that bullet "warm and comfortable". lol idk i've just always done it. i also sometimes joke with my brother by taking his shells and shaking them up and telling him they are dizy and won't hit a deer, i think it gets to his head cuz he misses more than he should lol
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 AM

I don't do anything out of the ordinary.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: axp117crow

i also sometimes joke with my brother by taking his shells and shaking them up and telling him they are dizy and won't hit a deer, i think it gets to his head cuz he misses more than he should lol
thats hilarious

and the only thing i can think of that i do is i wear my lucky hat and eat a big breakfast of bacon and eggs before i go out.....we have always done it at our hunting camp and its basically tradionion now....
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to have my neck wrap/ face mask or nothing is going to happen.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM

This is going to sound silly but I think seeing a rabbit brings me luck because everytime I see one, a deer comes out.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rub the lucky coconut. Yes a coconut. I brought it home from the Florida Keys because whenever it was in the boat, we caught a lot of fish.

See coconut in use:

Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do practice herd management. But I do kill any legal deer that busts me. I don't like them talking about me later, and me being there is supposed to be a secret! (well I do let the small buck walk, but doe are gonzo if they bust me out)

I also behead deer and hang their skulls in a new tree every year. It is known as "the tree of shame". I want the field to be level. The tree of shame announces to all that there is a killer lurking in the woods. It is a naked ape, dressed in a vegetation suit, known as the Killer Primate...

After the season, I boil the skulls and keep them - I guess I'm a head hunter...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i get out of bed and make sure to step down with my left foot first, than my right, than i walk 3 steps and spin in a circle 3 times, than i walk into my room and rub each side of my bucks antler i got last year for good luck, i than go to the bathroom and touch the toilet lid 3 timee before i use, than once im all ready to leave i run down the stairs 3 times and make sure i dont walk out the front door until the big hand is on an even number. one i get in the car i make sure i buckle my seat belt at the second stop light, never the first!... once we get there i pick my bow up and pray to the deer gods, once i get to my stand i clap 3 times and sit down. i always make sure if i have to pee in my stand, to let it flow towards the east, never the west, or you wont see a deer for a week no matter what the wind is.

no im not ocd, i only do this when im going hunting
Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 AM

Every time i pass this hill i grab a rock and throw it down the hill and it has to crack ice on the creek at the bottom and thats my sacrifice to the elk gods. Here is a pic of the hill i role the rocks down.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Superstitions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.