Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Superstitions

Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
I wear my right sock on my left foot and my left sock on my right foot.

WELCOME TO THE SITE QUACK !
You would have better luck if you did the same with your hunting boots.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kidoggy
I wear my right sock on my left foot and my left sock on my right foot.
Finally, somebody acknowledges there are right socks and left socks, especially once they get broken in. Now wearing them on the wrong feet, that's madness.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I bought a new red flannel shirt my second year of deer hunting in 1964. Got a very nice 8 point buck opening morning. I wore that shirt every year since. Ya the sleeves wore out so I cut them off and made it a sort of flannel vest. Then I gained 100 pounds over the years so I could not button it any longer. Wife said it was a ratty old rag and thru it out I retrieved it and told her if it got thrown out again I was going to throw out her wedding dress the shirt stays unmolested now.
My hunting clothing gets a cold water bath no soap 14 days before the season and hag on the screen porch till I pack to go to deer camp.
Every deer I have shot has been with a reload except the shot gun ones but will be soon.

Al
Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to laugh at a few of these. I don't really have any except maybe the orange CAT hat that i've had forever. But my bud i hunt with opening weekend has to listen to a George Jones album, as we try to fall asleep Friday and Saturday night at the cabin. It's a little weird because he's a metal/hard rock guy. The 1st time i heard it the lights were turned out, we all went to bed and it started blaring. I asked him why he listens to it, all he says is it's a tradition that he has to follow.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Muzzleloading or rifle season...always wear my medicine bag. That little ole pouch sure don't look nothing like it did when it was new leather.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

At first I was thinking all You Hunters are "Crazy".... Then I got to thinking about some of the things I've done before going Deer Hunting that seem a little Strange and Superstitious?First thing that comes to mind is I have to get into "Deer Mode"...I listen to all the previous Hunting Stories from the Guys at work other wise I just can't seem to get into a Deer Hunting mood?I usually don't shave from Bow Season in Sept then Oct and finally Rifle Season in November...after that I usually shave it all off except my mustache and Goatie!

My Dad passed away several years ago and He gave Me His Remington model 742 30-06,I made it a Goal to shoot a very nice Buck with that same Rifle in Memory of Him...I did so and put a bronze plaque on the wooden backboard in Memory of Him.

My Older Brother passed away in 2007 and He left Me His Browning A-bolt Medallion .270 WSM Rifle...I hunted for 2 different Deer Seasons after that to get a nice Buck in Memory of Him and finally succeeded.Guess that's My biggest thing was to be a Good Ethical Hunter and do something in Memory of them.I'm sure they're both up there smiling down at Me since they both Loved to Hunt & Fish and always enjoyed the Outdoors!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 11-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.