Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Entry-level Forestry Positions

Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Entry-level Forestry Positions

USFWC, where were you at 14 years ago when I graduated and was looking for that type of job. I have a forestry and wildlife degree. Ah it worked out, I get to spend most of the winter setting the woods on fire (prescribe burns) and then trying to put other fires out (wild fires). Then my summers I get to go chace fires out west. I work for the state of Georgia as a wildland firefighter.

You might want to contact/advertise this opening atthe schol of forestry atAbraham Baldwin Agriculture College (ABAC)in Tifton Ga. They have a very good wildlife and forestry program. These are 2 year degrees.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I believe I was learning to drive about that time!

Thanks for the referral on ABAC, it is very much appreciated! The SAF has a list of 'accredited' schools, but that doesn't include all forestry schools...especially the 2-year programs. I'll check it out. Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM

im a forestry transfer major here at ABAC in Tifton GA. im a sophmore here, and in fall ill be headed to UGA for two more years to have my bachelor's in Forestry. hopefully i can get on with you then! PS thanks for the mention of ABAC!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

I think you'll really like UGA. I have met several of the students at the Conclaves the past couple of years and they have all been very nice and personable. They usually do really well in the competition too. Keep us in mind when you start looking for a job. You may check in with us for internships from time to time as well. I had several this past summer that didn't get filled.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the actual job posting if anyone may be interested:

Title
: Contract Cruiser/Potential Forester Position
Number of Positions Available: 3
Duration: Until May of 2007, unless hired on as a Forester at the end of that period, then it would be a permanent position

Job Description

Basic timber cruising using fixed area plots in pine plantations.

Job Skills & Qualifications

1. High school diploma or GED equivalent is required; Associates degree in Forestry or related field with a B.S. degree preferred.

2. Must be able to read and interpret maps, use a G.P.S. unit and be highly motivated to do quick, quality work

3. Must be able to read and interpret measurement specifications, regulations and policies.

4. Must have a driver’s license, personal vehicle and a good driving record.

5. Must be personable and have good communication skills.

6. Integrity and honesty are of utmost importance

7. Must have no felony convictions

Compensation

Pay is dependent upon amount of work completed with most workers making >$20/hr.

Living Accommodations

Assistance with finding living accommodations is available, but the contractor/employee will be responsible for all expenses incurred such as rent and utilities

Contact

Please send resume and references to:

U.S. Forestry & Wildlife Consulting, LLC
Attn: Brian Beauchamp
201 E. Central
Miami, Oklahoma 74354
Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

How about a Forest Operations major from Umaine??

I will be graduating soon and looking for employment; I would be interested in learning more about your company!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Do you know how to use a clinometer?

ORIGINAL: MEhuntalot

How about a Forest Operations major from Umaine??

I will be graduating soon and looking for employment; I would be interested in learning more about your company!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: USFWC

Are you serious? Yes, we use them to measure slope, and to measure tree height...we learned that first year, first semester!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

I was kind of kidding, kind of not too...you would be surprised how many people graduate with a degree in forestry that have no practical knowledge of it. Glad to see you aren't one of them!

When are you scheduled to graduate?

ORIGINAL: MEhuntalot

Are you serious? Yes, we use them to measure slope, and to measure tree height...we learned that first year, first semester!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I was kind of kidding, kind of not too...you would be surprised how many people graduate with a degree in forestry that have no practical knowledge of it. Glad to see you aren't one of them!

When are you scheduled to graduate?
May of 2007 unless I decide to take a couple more classes for a minor in something (surveying/fisheries...who knows)

Quick Reply: Entry-level Forestry Positions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.