Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I got REALLY lucky

Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: I got REALLY lucky

Once I get a chance I will take it back into where I purchased it and see if they can get it replaced. I have notbeen in there in over a year as I have moved about an hour away, so not very convient to just stop in.

Has anyone ever dealt with Remington directly? I would guess they do all their warranty work through a dealer. But this is the first time I have ever had a gun fail on me.

Thanks for all the good wishes. And I am very glad that I didn't get hurt, or even snuffed out by this. Thinking about it if the slug wouldn't of gone down the barrel it could of come out the side of the gun like the plastic part of the cartridge did.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:54 PM

I owned a Remington 870 express 20 gauge. When i was hunting a few years ago i was shooting at a deer when the gun just stopped firing. come to find out there was a small piece of a branch stuck near the end of the pump preventing it from closing all the way. That is why the gun didnt shoot. So I'm guessing that the gun had a malfunction in either the pump or the locking mechinism that holds the shell and everything in place during firing. More than likely remington will either replace the gun or fix it for you. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you are safe.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Question,,, why does there appear to be "screwheads" where there should be "hardenned press fit pins" holding the trigger assembly in?

Ive never seen screws holding a trigger assembly in place,, could be a problem with those. Screws will have alot lower sheering point than hardenned pins will.

Dont think they areoriginal equipment,, if its not original equipment,,, Remington will wash theyre hands of it.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM

Good thing it didn't blow up in your face
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Spike

I have a Weaver scope mount and a Pro Point sight on the gun, the screws replace the pins to hold the plate on the opposite side of the gun for the mount.

I don't see why that would make any difference, the trigger mechanism should play no factor in the holding of the shell in the barrel.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM

That sucks dude! Lucky you were not hurt. I had a similar slose call. I put a muzzle break on my Mosin Nagant to help with the muzzle climb and the recoil. The break was held in place with a arc shaped peice of metal with 2 screws that are flush when screwed in all of the way. I took a shot, and I guess it was off by a micron or some s---, cause the bullet sheared a peice of it and it broke off metal and all. I'm lucky to have not been seriously injured.
I have dealt with Remington before. I have a Rem 1100 autoloader, and the rings as well as firing pin were worn out. I asked if they could do some minor rebuilds, and even offered to pay for it...they told me to find myself a gunsmith.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM

My father had that happen with a rem. rifle .They let him have a brand new custom shop rifle for free.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM

wow thats crazy, im glad u are ok