Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A deers brain.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A deers brain.

Deer are not smart. They have very keen senses, though and are very cautious. They have evolved survival behavior just like other animals.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 AM

anybody, or anything, can have keen senses but it takes brains to remember that smelling rubber boots means a hunter and smelling acorns means food. and yes deer do follow the same trails every day, and yes maybe it is scent. but how do deer follow the same scrape or rub lines a year later, surely after all the snow a rain from a whole year the scent would be gone. and anyway this isn't about HOW smart the deer are, its about HOW LONG their memmory lasts. the same thing was said about goldfish having a 3 second memmory and the mythbusters on discovery channel tested it and found there memmory to be very good
Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems unlikely. What about those people who have deer cometo their backyard and get used to certain people but not others. I can't remember who it was that had a picture of themselves sitting at a feeder with a couple deer and was saying that the deer wouldn't stick around for anyone else.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

Seems unlikely. What about those people who have deer cometo their backyard and get used to certain people but not others. I can't remember who it was that had a picture of themselves sitting at a feeder with a couple deer and was saying that the deer wouldn't stick around for anyone else.
Cannot dogs sense fear or danger?How many times have you been in the woods seen deer without the intention not to harm them and they wasn't that alarmed?Then how many times have you been hunting them and they was very jittery? You ever get the feeling someone was watching you and you look around for them.Imagine the deer senses way beyond that.This doesn't prove their memory fron a treestand.Has the deer ever looked up in that treestand when no one is in it?That should be the question.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 AM

yes dogs can sense danger, but they also know who is there master. when i go away and have a friend watch the dog, they won't eat. they know it not me. now they don't sense fear or danger they just know its not me and they get depressed a lot of dogs to that. i don't get how you can say deer don't have memmories, i'm not going back over every point i've already made but look, if deer had no memmory then they would not be able to comprehend their senses, they would not know what they are smelling, seeing, or hearing. noone has proved yet that deer have only a 7 second memmory
Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 AM

It's pretty silly to think that deer, or I think any mammal for that matter, has only a 7 minute memory. These animals learn and can remember. Do you think a 5 1/2 yr old buck only has a 7 minute memory?