Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A deers brain.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM

Default A deers brain.

I remember way back I was watching a documentry on deers.It said a deers memory last only 7 minutes.I have spooked deer only for them to return 10 to 15 minutes later to the same place.Has anyone else ever heard of this or encountered deer behavior like this?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A deers brain.

Nope..
Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope but that would be kool.....who knows
Old 11-30-2006, 07:58 PM

from what i hear and the info i gather, deer are very smart animals. they may return after being spooked because they are naturally curious. but they won't come back unless they feel safe. if they're memmory only last 7 mins then how do they follow the same trails, or the same scrape line from year to year. i think your info is wrong tho i have never studied a the brain of a deer or anything like that
Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is very true.. if their memory is only 7 minutes how do they travel the same deer paths from DAY TO DAY let alone year to year..!!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: axp117crow

from what i hear and the info i gather, deer are very smart animals. they may return after being spooked because they are naturally curious. but they won't come back unless they feel safe. if they're memmory only last 7 mins then how do they follow the same trails, or the same scrape line from year to year. i think your info is wrong tho i have never studied a the brain of a deer or anything like that
Scent.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM

and why is it if I hunt a stand more then two days I see nothing?

I've had the same thing when I was putting out corn last year.
spooked a small doe, it came back three times. and each time it came back it would sit about 40 yards from the corn I had just put out and do it's little stomping thing.

alltho...it could just be really good instinct...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 PM

This could still be true even if they do stay on the same trail...if they never leave it...how can they forget it?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

It only takes me 6 minutes to forget that I spooked him....

I have spooked plenty of deer. I suppose if there were two or more deer and they went a couple different ways. They may try to come back and find the deer they were with. But I haven't seen them come back, unless maybe different deer all together.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've heard of hunters being "busted" in their tree and from then on, when the deer came back through they would look up into that specific tree to see if anyone was sitting in it. if this is true, then the "7 minute memory" theory is false.

Quick Reply: A deers brain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.