Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

family members take tags

Old 11-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default family members take tags

I know some people that they find a family member that doesnt hunt they give them the deer and they say they shot it. So that gives the hunter other tag to kill a deer. Why do people do this it doesnt seem very fair.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Default RE: family members take tags

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

I know some people that they find a family member that doesnt hunt they give them the deer and they say they shot it. So that gives the hunter other tag to kill a deer. Why do people do this it doesnt seem very fair.
There is nothing wrong with it, if they want to do it, then there is nothing wrong with it, some people like a little extra meat in the freezer.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Its legal too party hunt in the province im in. As long as they are out actively hunting at the same time,, you can shoot theyre tag. We do it all the time. Have had several years where 1 guy fills 3 or 4 tags of members in camp,, and if he didnt we would have been deerless!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thats fine and dandy, but if you're doing that, you better hunting for meat, not just looking to shoot 2 or 3 bucks!!! take a couple of does as well, not just all the big boys!!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

Thats fine and dandy, but if you're doing that, you better hunting for meat, not just looking to shoot 2 or 3 bucks!!! take a couple of does as well, not just all the big boys!!
Kill more does than bucks. but if 2 or 3 big bucks present themselves,, pop'em!

One of my buddies was in a group of 8 guys this yearthey do drives. Openning day theyre pushing bush, he had 3 bucks, 2 of which were really nice a 6 point and 2 does come by him first drive. He knocked all 5 down! They got tagged, gutted and hung.. Everyone was happy,, first 3 hours and the group had 5 hanging.. its not a competition,, its putting meat in the freezer!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because they are POACHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perfectly legal here in NY to use up to 2 dmp tags from somebody else. Doesn't have to be a family member. Anybody can give a tag to anybody. In states where it's not legal I don't see it as a big deal. To me if it's one or 2 tags from a family member(s)the offense is equivalent to driving 56 in a 55, who cares? My bet is you will start to see what NY is doing being adopted in other states. Why not? It's a great idea. The state gets their money forthe licensesand the people that want a little extra meat can get it. Everybody wins the way I see it. I think people that get upset about such trivial matters are a bit anal retentive.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM

I have a nonhunting wife,daughter and son .That will give me 3 more buck tags.but wait If I did that by taxatermy bill would be to high and I couldn't afford to take a day off work to go hunting,That not my bag.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Party hunting is legal here, if the tags owner is the same bush hunting at the time of the kill. Using a tag for someone in the hunting party is fine, tagging a deer with your wifes tag when she's at soccer practice with the kids is poaching.

I entered the antlerless draw, and bought a tag for my room-mate this year (he has a lisence but doesn't hunt) and have been bugging him to come out, I won't fill that tag unless he's in the bush with a bow so its all legal.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is only "not fair" if you can't do it. I get more doe permits than what my son and I have tags for, so I have my brother or Dad tag a couple for me. I also donate most of the meat to some low income families in our community. It is not about taking advantage of anything, but for me, it is about herd management.

Quick Reply: family members take tags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.