Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
anyone know how to stablize guns? >

anyone know how to stablize guns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone know how to stablize guns?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:02 PM

Default anyone know how to stablize guns?

I have a bipod on my 30-06. I love the bi pod because i stablize it very well. Anyone know any excersises that would help me stablize my gun if i have to stand and shoot? My bi pod is good for lieing on ground or on a board or soemthing. I have read about sniper training to stablize guns but havent had much luck in stablizing yet.
thanks
jere
Old 11-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: anyone know how to stablize guns?

I don't but know many who use a sling to stabilize when shooting. Basically rap the sling around your elbow, it forms a triangle.

Also know some guys that tuck their stock arm into their body and swear it helps.

These are thought, since I don't really notice a problem, if close range. Long range I usually sit with my knees up and rest my elbow on the knee or find a solid rest like a fence post or tree.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 AM

I've always been told that sitting (like skeeter said above) is second-best to having a solid rest. Of course, you have to have some flexibility to get your elbow on the right part of your knee, and that's my problem with it because I have a tough time with flexibility period. My shot this year (my first year) was standing, with a sling (which helps stabilize one arm) and really pressing the gun into my shoulder hard (which helped to stabilize the other). It wasn't a long shot, though, and I doubt I would shoot over 200-250 yards standing like I was.

Nate
Old 11-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opionion, the secret to shooting free handed is the trigger and practice. If you have a hard trigger, there's no way to keep the sights on a small target when you pull that trigger. However, with a light crisp trigger all you do is touch it when the cross hairs hit the sweet spot. Last year I put a Timney trigger on my rifle and practiced with it a bunch. I dry fired it no telling how many times standing free handed, no brace. The first week of gun season, I was walking back to my vehicle and spotted an 8 point at around 150 yards. I raised the gun, found the buck in the scope and when the crosshairs touched the the sweet spot, my finger touched the trigger and I took an 8 point at 150 yards free handed. I've continued practicing this year and believe I could take a buck easily at 200 yards standing and no brace. Without the crisp light trigger, I couldn't hit a buck free handed at 50 yards.

Let me add that the trigger doesn't help you hold the gun steady of course. What the light trigger allows you to do, is to cut down on the reaction time from the time your ready to shoot and the time you actually shoot. With the light trigger, all the crosshairs have to do is go across the area you want to hit. You don't have to hold steady. My crosshairs are still floating all over the general target area when I'm aiming but as the crosshairs go across the magic spot, I shoot and I don't pull the gun one way or the other.
You can't be too cautious with any gun, but if you go the light trigger route, be sure to be extra, extra cautious with your safety. In the excitement of shooting or just seeing a big buck, sometimes you can forget you took the safety off or forget to put it back on after the shot and with a light trigger that's doubly dangerous.

Edited by - rockytop on 11/21/2002 10:37:28
Old 11-21-2002, 10:12 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice. I spend alot of time shooting free hand jsut for that purpose. Now, I will say that I do use my sling when shooting freehand. I wrap it around my left elbow when shooting right handed and hold it tight. It really does work and if I have to take a shot while standing or walking I bring my gun up and wrap the sling all in one motion. It is sort of second nature now but I still practice it quite a bit.

Tom
Old 11-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

In the movie "The Patriot" Mel Gibson tells his sons to aim small/hit small. Basically try to hit a spot on the deer and not just the front 1/4th. I practice holding my gun (scoped) on several photos of deer torn out of magazines I pin on my wall. Try to choose different sizes of photos to imitate deer at different ranges. I also like to choose photos of deer in heavy cover. At first your scope will generally make a lazy circle over the target. But soon you'll be able to control the float and can make smaller and smaller wobbles. I dont' dry fire for about 15 minutes then I take a spent shell and practice firing while changing to different photos to make it fun on my "lease in a room". Work out with shoulder exercises and shrugs with weights for better steadiness.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:34 AM

Here is something that I read a while back. Aim at your target while standing. Then close your eyes and count to 5 slowly. Now open your eyes you should still be aimed at the same spot. If you're not you need to adjust your feet one way or the other depending on which way your gun was aiming. This is called your comfort zone.You need to keep doing this untill it becomes secound nature. I've done this and it has helped me. Of course like eveything else you need breathe, focus, etc... The biggest thing that will help is to practice, practice, practice.