Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally!! I think?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Spike

Default Finally!! I think?

I went out this morning and about 8:00am I saw three does coming toward me. Two were young and the other an old mature doe. I wait until they were less than 20 yards and was able to make a shot on the old doe.

I used the tree as a rest and made a perfect shot, I think maybe a hair low, she jumped 6 feet in the air turned and started to go back the way she came. Tail down and just barely able to jog, stumbling, barely able to stand.

I get all excited being the first deer of the year for me. I wait for a while and get down and go the the spot were I shot her and found alot of hair and some blood. I decided to wait longer and went to my car and got my knife and gloves then started tacking. Only two little spots of blood in the first 40 yards then it got real heavy perfect for a novice tracker like me to be able to track. I followed it for 150 yards and then it just stopped? I keep looking but never found her. I am going back out in a few min. I am confident that she is dead but were???

Do you guys think so, and do you think because she had two fawns with her that made her keep running and not bedding down? Trying to get them to safety????
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Finally!! I think?

watch the sides of the trail to see if she didn't double back on her own trail when you go back out......seen them turn around and walk right back down their own blood trail and then go off to the side.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one go over 300 yards with no lungs. keep looking you will find her.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

get down low and look in the real thickstuff
Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

also, just walk the trail and keep going the way you would go if you were the deer.

follow for like 150 yards in everyway possible.

head towards water or really thick stuff.

bring a friend.

its hard losing a deer, we found one this year by sheer luck. i stumbled over it by just following the trail that the deer was on for 150 yards. the lung was plugging the hole that the arrow went through. not a drop of blood.

best of luck
Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Spike

Ok went back out and took my dad. we retraced the deers path and went to where the blood stopped and nothing after that. I am at a loss for words. I don't understand. I was so patient waiting for this doe and had the perfect rest and the gun is dead on at 50 yards. I made a perfect shot. She couldn't hardly even walk after the shot, stumbling around and so on. Alot of hair at the spot where i shot her white and brown. But she didn't really start bleeding until after 40 yards or so. We went another 300 yards after the last spot of blood and made a circle all the way around it.

We also went and got the landowners 4 wheeler and went even farther than that looking. And yes we look by every down tree in ever brush pile, creek, holler, etc. Even on my knees ( looking and praying!!) never found her. I am sick its been the best year of hunting life but just not able to close the deal with gun or bow? I am going hunting their in the morning and after that I will look some more just to be sure we didn't miss any thing