Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scents on State Land

Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Scents on State Land

Hey everyone I was wondering tommor is going to be be first year on state land with a shotgun I have always hunted Bow and missed the rut bow is over by the time the rut starts even on state land you can't bow hunt they havea few bow only area's but the ones I have found were mobbed! and never saw much I am siked to have the A Season I have only gotten B a couple times and by then the deer are few and never taken one. Would it be worth to use any scents other than a cover scent like coon pee beacuse I always here of people using Tinks ro golden estrus so I wa sin the bow shop and decided to buy the Buck Stop 200 proof,
It says %100 gaurenteed and is supposed to be collected durring the does peak estrus cycle. I never heard of anyone using this stuff and if it's true about what it says I could get lucky, Or would I be better off just not using anything and hit the high ground far out away from everyone and hope they get pushed to me! any ideas
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scents on State Land

Deer on public land , especially heavily pressured properties , get to smell just about every luring scent that gets produced . For this reason it can be prudent to leave the scents at home and just try to reduce your own the best that you can . When I hunt pressured publics about the only scent I take along is Deer Danderâ„¢ to cover myself , then I pattern the other hunters who will surely be using Tinks or some other scent and set up 50-100 yards from where they are on the downwind side . If the deer suspect a set up and circles downwind to sniff them out they sometimes wander right into your sights . The only other scent I normally consider taking is fresh persimmon pulp , which I warm up on a hand warmer . It draws every doe for hundreds of yards , and they bring the boys with them . Persimmon is a normal scent for most areas at this time of year , so they don't usually smell a rat .
Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I personally have never had much luck with lure scents but I've only tried the garden variety tinks 69 and buck bomb that anyone can buy at Walley World. I had success this year by sitting by an area I know is loaded with does and letting them draw the bucks in with their estrous scent. As a matter of fact, both of the large buck's I saw during rifle season where hot on the trail of a doe that had passed by my stand earlier in the day. Moral of the story, don't shoot the first doe that comes by if your heart is set on scoring a buck, as soon as she comes by get ready to look for a big boy hot on her tail. Hope this helps....
Old 11-15-2006, 05:34 PM

i hunt on public property every year that i have hunted and that has been for seven years. if the scent is used right it is very effective. i hear probably ten shots per hunt during rifle season so its hunted fairly hard by people. The doe estrous urine has been very effective for me. i have killed 12 deer in the seven years ive hunted and thats pretty good i think on public land. my two largets bucks that ive taken can in my opinion be thanks to code blue doe estrous. a ten point i killed on nov. 12 this year was thanks to code blue. when i grunted and he started my way, he sniffed the air and the wind was blowing the code blue right in his face, needless to say he started grunting and licking his lips and came straight to the rag soaked in code blue 45 yrd from my stand and i put him down. theres a pic of it posted under the post " my 2006 kentucky ten point."
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM

i have tried about everything but 200 proof is always in my backpack. i squirt the soles of my boots when i get about 150 yards from my stand. i had a buck this bow season walk across my path whith his nose down, pass it, come back to it, and follow my every step to about 10 yards from my stand where i shot him.