Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Climber or Hang-on?  (plz help!) >

Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!)

Old 11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!)

climber

safer to me and i always like that option
Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both; an API Grand Slam climber that's about 5 years old and a new Gorilla hang-on. I got the strap-on treesteps. I hunt public land, so I have to use something that won't pierce the bark on the trees. The steps are a pain in the butt, but I love the stand. And the climber is sooooo comfortable.

You'd be suprised how easy it is to find trees that are straight and clear enough for a climber. The only reason I got the hang-on is to have more set-up options. I like the versatility.

If I were you, I'd get the hang-on, and then get a climber later. You can use the hang-on in clear trees and trees with branches, but you can only use the climber in clear trees. Plus, the hang-on stands are much more bowhunter friendly. You don't have the 'rail' going around it to get in the way of your bow.

Use a harness no matter which stand you get.
Good luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 PM

I have both a climber and a hang on. I almost only use the climber. I have a summit which weighs only 18 lbs total. That's alot less than the sticks and hang on stand together. I also hunt on public land so I have to take it down every day, plus I like to try new spots. The summits are very comfortable and stable. The only drawback for the climber is that for bow hunting, usually have to pick a tree that doesn't provide much cover.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the money what i like to do is use a climber as a hang on you get a ladder to attach to the tree then put the climber up they are much more comfortable to sit in all day. just a suggestion
Old 11-13-2006, 08:20 AM

SUMMIT GALIATH ,,,LOVE MINE CAN SET 12 HRS EASY
Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 AM

I have a Guide Gear Deluxe climber ($90.00). The reason is it has a comfortable seat and side rails.The rails help keep me in the stand because I tend to nod off, I also wear a harness. It gets boring sitting in a tree for hours. You may also want to buy a couple of stands for different locations due to wind conditions. This will save you from having to always move your stand.
Good luck and good hunting, always wear a harness..
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM

It may just be me, but I would not put my life in the hands of a $50 climber. Is it a good brand name at a reduced price or simply a cheaper brand that runs $50?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Save your money and get a lone wolf. You'll never look back. Absolutely no noise because of the cast aluminum frame, very comfortable and lighter than any other stand. I don't even notice it on my back when I pack in in and out. Also it only take 3 or 4 minutes to get 20 or 30 feet up ina tree.