HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/164452-climber-hang-plz-help.html)

pawn256 11-10-2006 09:51 PM

Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!)

I am going to buy a stand of my own. How long does it take to climb a climber 20 feet up a tree at 6:00 in the moring? I will hunt mornings, come in to warm up and eat lunch, and then hunt until dusk. Will this be way too much up/down'ing ?

I checked out what's available in my area, and Walmart has a "gorilla wolverine" climber for only $50 and it includes a safety harness. Obviously quality may be an issue. My other option is "The Boss" for $70-90 (http://shop.biggametreestands.com/category.php?catid=4). If I go with the hang-on I would also have to purchase a 15' or 20' ladder for $80 or so. My third option would be to spend $200-300 on a Lone Wolf climber stand.

I have about 120 acres of private land for my use! I may have to go out with the specific purpose of counting how many trees are branch-free and would work with a climber.

Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks a ton!

All advice and speculation is welcome and appriciated! I'm looking to buy a stand sometime this weekend!

MossyOak722 11-10-2006 11:46 PM

RE: Climber or Hang-on? (plz help!)

I personally have both. I have an older API climber and 3 or 4 hang out stands. A month or so ago i bought two hunter's view razorback stands and a 20 climbing stick(one for me and one for my gf to sit with me in haha)...i love them. if you have an area where you see deer consistently its nice. you carry it all in once and can movie it if needed. it only takes me like ten-fifteen minutes to hang the sticks and the stand and its pretty quiet. i love the stands bc they have a large platform. i likemy climber tho. if you are in a situation where you will be moving alot then its convenient. but remember ud be hauling something extra in on ure back eachtime. to and from the woods. they can be loud. take time to put up. also i noticed i sweated a lot more carry it in which is a problem with scent. but it gives u the option to explore different parts of the property without the halse of moving stands each time...thats what i see as the ups and downs of both...hope that helped

pawn256 11-11-2006 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: MossyOak722

I personally have both. I have an older API climber and 3 or 4 hang out stands. A month or so ago i bought two hunter's view razorback stands and a 20 climbing stick(one for me and one for my gf to sit with me in haha)...i love them. if you have an area where you see deer consistently its nice. you carry it all in once and can movie it if needed. it only takes me like ten-fifteen minutes to hang the sticks and the stand and its pretty quiet. i love the stands bc they have a large platform. i likemy climber tho. if you are in a situation where you will be moving alot then its convenient. but remember ud be hauling something extra in on ure back eachtime. to and from the woods. they can be loud. take time to put up. also i noticed i sweated a lot more carry it in which is a problem with scent. but it gives u the option to explore different parts of the property without the halse of moving stands each time...thats what i see as the ups and downs of both...hope that helped
Sounds like solid advice. I think maybe I'll go check some spots real quick and make sure there are some trees that have few enough branches to work with a climber. Then I'll probabally get the $50 climber. If I use it and decide I want a hang-on or a high-quality climber, hell, I'm only down $50, and I'll have a spare climber that I wouldn't worry too much about being stolen, and a free safety harness.

Oh, and I'm just going to leave the climber at the base of the tree where I hunt. The spot is actually only a couple hundred yards from my house. If someone wants to risk getting caught in order to steal a $50 stand, oh well... They had better hope they don't get caught .

wisbowhunter2009 11-11-2006 06:11 AM

get a climber!!! I love mine. That way you have 2 treestands in one really. Because you can use it as a hang on and then you can use it as a climber and if your in the wrong spot and see deer walkin 100 yards from you then you can move over there without carrying 50 pounds of climbing sticks. just my .02 good luck

MossyOak722 11-11-2006 11:32 PM

i had to move my stand today. it took me 30 minutes total. and thats taking itdown, moving it a quarter mile, and putting it all back up. it isn't too heavy or loud. i believe the hunter's view razorback cost like $50 and the 20' climbing stick was like $36. you can't beat that. i like the stick bc u don thave to mess with puttin steps in the tree and it can be moved easily. The strapsmake it pretty easy to hang. just giving you amore of my thoughts..like i said before i have both and use both. i like the mobility of the climber but hate hauling it in every single time....thats why i prefer a hanging stand with a climbing stick. esp if you know a certain area you are goin to be hunting and dont think you will be moving it a lot.

timbercruiser 11-12-2006 08:41 AM

Make sure what ever you buy that t is comfortable. Nothing like sitting in a tree in constant agony because of an uncomfortable stand.

wisbowhunter2009 11-12-2006 09:36 AM

If you get a climber and you like the spot your in just leave it on the tree. and if you are affraid it'll get stolen just chain it down for the night. Easy as that!

Rhody Hunter 11-12-2006 11:34 AM

I love a climber it takes 10 -15 minutes to be up the tree and ready to hunt

moose1915 11-12-2006 12:14 PM

i can be 20 feet up in my summit in less than a couple minutes, they are that good. and comfortable? i get my best sleep up there!

NY Woodsman 11-12-2006 06:19 PM

I personally prefer hang-ons due to the fact that they are simply easier to use. At 6 in the morning I dont like to fart around with a climber, and i'm clumsy in those. I make enough racket trying to hook up a climber and climbing up a tree as a freight train coming through the woods. Id much rather be able to climb a ladder and sit down. And thats all.